Russia invades Ukraine

tl;dr?

47 Likes
29 Likes
19 Likes

75 Likes

Because they are all fascists

71 Likes

The world did not step in in Chechnya, Georgia, the Crimean Peninsula (Ukraine, practice version). The world isn’t going to step in here, and Putin knows it. He spewed the same BS trail of lies each time and faced no actual repercussions. Ukraine is not part of NATO, they aren’t part of the EU. Sure, we sold them a lot of weapons, er, I mean “lethal aid.” And we’ll sanction those darn Russian leaders, so that they can’t go on vacation to as many nice places. But in the end, Russia will take another step toward rebuilding the USSR. Now, I’m not sure that we Could stop them (we being US and Europe), but I don’t see anyone actually doing anything of substance. I am sad today, especially for the Ukrainians.

eta - but at least Putin waited until after the Olympics. If he started the war during the Olympics, it might have looked bad to the US Republicans, the most steadfast defenders of Russia.

29 Likes
8 Likes

I just wanted to say that I understand feeling like that and feel it myself a lot. I don’t know what to do or say about it other than that I understand it and hope that against the evidence of the past we, our leaders, and the world can do better this time.

26 Likes
21 Likes

The GOP bowing down to the new Hitler. Will that cost them?

FY Rupert Murdoch for pumping poison into our discourse 24/7.

31 Likes
15 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

43 Likes

“De voksne kan også være bange……”
:sleepy:

5 Likes

Google says this is Scandinavian for “I hope you’ve got your shittin’ pants on …”

13 Likes

All us USainians need to relax about this. Trump thinks its a “genius” move and the GOP leadership agrees with him. What can possibly go wrong? /s

11 Likes

I´m horrified.
What news to wake up to.

26 Likes

Yeah, that’s the rather obvious answer. I keep seeing people saying things along the lines of “What kind of kompromat does Putin have on/what kind of bribes is Russia giving to Tucker Carlson (/other Republican)?” But Putin doesn’t need to do any of those things when the Republicans are simply fascists supporting fascists…

43 Likes

The only exception I’d make there is Biff, who subscribes to no ideology except that of his own narcissistic self-image as reflected in money, attention, and power. For him fascism and admiration of fascists like Putin is merely a means to that end.

36 Likes

Why didn’t Ukraine get THAAD in time? Without that, Russia can fly sorties non stop all over Ukraine and no one there will have the morale to fight when bombers are free to do whatever they want with no interference.

1 Like

Exactly. These people are modern Charles Lindberghs, Henry Fords, and Charles Coughlins. They support white supremacy, they support hate, they support authoritarianism, and they support, in this case, Russia.

No one needs to pay them to do it, for them it is it’s own reward

34 Likes