Russia invades Ukraine

I dunno - if there is one thing the EU loves it is bureaucracy, and you can’t just line jump and forego the forms and conditions.

BUT - it would be a pretty bold move. It would further cement Putin’s failure. Hopefully is removed from Ukraine entirely, including Crimea.

Right, not a perfect analogy that way. More of how Poland was given the tools to fight their invaders, and now Poland giving tools to help Ukrainians fight theirs.

3 Likes
8 Likes

I have 2 of those. Now I can retire!

14 Likes
20 Likes

The Simpsons foresaw your future!

8 Likes

He’s also banned Russians from receiving investment or loans in foreign currency, and depositing foreign currency in banks outside of Russia.

I’ve heard the group of policies described as a “self sanction”. It’s all meant to prop up the ruble, but it’s also going to further cut off foreign investment/involvement from those few parties still dealing with them. And prevent regular Russians from mitigating the damage.

But there’s also the element of the forced sale of foreign currency, that and a few other policies are basically requiring people to buy rubles from the central bank. So the central bank is sucking up foreign currency.

They’d apparently stock piled foreign currency in the central bank and treasury specifically as a shield against sanctions. So they could produce weapons anyway under heavy sanctions.

If they’re moving to get more dollars and euros and yuan. Then that stock pile is gone.

No one is going to sell them weapons and critical components for rubles at this point. I caught somewhere else that there’s like a 5-6 month lead time on even starting to replace the equipment they’ve already lost, because Russian manufacturing is so limited. And that goes much longer if they can’t get material and components they don’t produce locally.

14 Likes
18 Likes

You spell ruble,
I spell rouble,
Either way
Pootey’s in trouble!

17 Likes

Big Rouble in Little Moscow.

19 Likes
16 Likes

Putin feels like the Hunger Games villain in this. Years of underhanded information and psychological warfare to destabilize democracy around the world, to ensure prominent media and one of the political parties in the US have been blaring his propaganda. All building up to an invasion where his whole strategy seems to have been “we’re-at-war-charge”.

15 Likes

GIF by Vulture.com

15 Likes
23 Likes

Thread:

(snip)

(but read the whole thread)

16 Likes
13 Likes

plan, attack, and response from the world are summed up nicely in this historical document:

11 Likes

Reddit thread about the propaganda russian schools will have to tell kids about the shit show

8 Likes

The International Committee for the Red Cross has set up a fund for the crisis in Ukraine. Please share.

www.icrc.org/en/donate/ukraine

20 Likes
17 Likes
17 Likes