Russia rejects state-sponsored movie piracy, upsetting cinemas desperate to show Barbie

Originally published at: Russia rejects state-sponsored movie piracy, upsetting cinemas desperate to show Barbie | Boing Boing

1 Like

official eyes appear to be on boosting local filmmakers

“Barbie? Forget it! We have Olga, movie about traditional Russian doll with head made from potato. Watch as she lives traditional life with family and fights against gay agenda!”

5 Likes

I see that Medvedev hasn’t entirely forgotten the techie half of his liberal, Steve-Jobs-visiting, tech enthusiast persona from 2008; despite his eager expurgation of the liberal half.

2 Likes

Barbie has been making trouble for authoritarians for some time.

7 Likes

I suspect that this is driven not so much by respect for copyright law as that is a great way prevent people from more exposure to Western ideas and get them to watch more Russian propaganda.

3 Likes

I suspect it’s mostly to keep Russian Citizens from realizing how poor they all are compared to the rest of the world, and how much of the stuff they rely upon comes from the outside, which will now never be replaced until their current government falls. Those who remember the Soviet Union days are no doubt getting ready to queue up for ill-fitting shoes and preparing themselves mentally for nothing but empty grocery shelves and subsidized vodka in the stores.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.