Russian judge shuts down scientology

Strawman, strawman, happy happy strawman.

1 Like

I think the word you are looking for is ā€œanalogy.ā€

But, please, tell us how horrible and criminal Scientology is at great length.

2 Likes

A bad analogy is like a banana.
Scott Adams

On the whole Atheism not being a religion thing:

There have already been numerous cases in the US brought by atheists, that get thrown out on the basis of atheists having no standing because they arenā€™t a religion.

This is one of the reasons I support the Satanic Temple so much. They are atheists who are willing to dress up and pretend theyā€™re religious in order to force equal treatment under the law.

7 Likes

No. Do your own research. You should have done your research before deciding to defend the Church of Scientology.

Defend ā€œScientologyā€ all you want, and youā€™ll get no argument from me but research the Church of Scientology before deciding they are worthy of your efforts.

Iā€™m not defending them, no matter how many times you stand up that strawman. Iā€™m defending the rights of Russian citizens to have freedom of religion, which is something the Russian Orthodox Church is very much not inclined to allow if it can get away with it.

Oh, and I have done my research, Iā€™ve been on the Internet since the 80s, read all of the popular books from the 90s forward about Scientology, including exposes, biographies of LRH, etc.

You seem happy to describe people that disagree with your opinions as being ā€œdefendersā€ of Scientology though. What next? You call me a Scientologist?

(I can categorically state that Iā€™m not now nor have I ever been a Scientologist, Chairman.)

Ironically from your profile statement:

2 Likes

When you decide to actually read and understand the things I wrote, then we might have a discussion. That doesnā€™t seem likely.

And when you reply to what I actually wrote, we might meet in the middle.

Iā€™m not defending Scientology. Iā€™m defending Russian religious freedoms from an Orthodox church that prefers that no one has other options. I really donā€™t care about Scientology other than it being a kooky cult that often seems to take advantage of its members. The leaders that commit crimes should be brought to trial, as we do (supposedly) with any other criminal acts. That doesnā€™t mean I want the Orthodox Church stomping out religious freedoms in Russia and this is just yet another act by them to do so. Theyā€™ve done it to other groups in the past and they will continue to do it moving forward.

You seem to think ā€œBecause Scientology!ā€ makes it ok though. Whatever.

1 Like

Ima just gonna leave this bit of nonsense hereā€¦

6 Likes

You are unable to read and understand what I wrote which makes it impossible to have any discussion.

1. I never accused you of ā€œdefending Scientologyā€. Neither was I attacking ā€œScientologyā€.
  2. I never wrote anything where ā€œbecause Scientologyā€ was the reasoning.
  3. I actually didnā€™t write what you have consistently accused me of writing.

Attempting to have a discussion with you immediately devolves into your generalities, bad analogies, misquotes, strawmen and slippery slope illogics.

You are so busy attacking people, you donā€™t bother actually reading what they actually said. It is tiresome. Iā€™ll leave you to ā€œargueā€ with your little strawman.

1 Like

I suppose youā€™re right in that you didnā€™t literally say I was defending Scientology except for how a rational person would read it unless this is one of those games where ā€œScientologyā€ is different than the ā€œChurch of Scientologyā€ to you?

Iā€™m not attacking anyone. Iā€™m saying that we shouldnā€™t applaud yet another example of the Russian Orthodox Church working to suspend the practices of a competing faith in Russia.

1 Like

So nobody is arguing with anyone? Hooray!

9 Likes

I guess weā€™re done then!

4 Likes

If I am reading all this right, the judgement comes from Scientology being trademarked with the idea being that if it actually were a real religion, it couldnā€™t be trademarked, a nifty argument which I donā€™t think could be used against other religions as I, at least, canā€™t think of another that is also trademarked. Ok, messy sentenceā€¦

1 Like

Russia can ban what they want, but they canā€™t keep me from pointing my finger at the moon.

(and if I try to patent that as secret knowledge, then I deserve the ban)

1 Like

Depends on what the practices are that they are suspending.

Prohibiting people from meeting to discuss Hubbardā€™s ideas, ā€œauditingā€ one another, using E-meters, getting together to discuss Xenu in hushed tones? Yeah, I agree that would be a very very Bad Thing for any governmental body to do.

Prohibiting them from running a long con which transfers large portions of select Russian citizensā€™ income to David Miscavige? I can probably sleep okay knowing thatā€™s being done.

2 Likes

They are borderline illegal in Germany also, lost tax exempt status and viewed with great suspicion by the government there.

Edit

And the Russian Federation is in clear violation of its obligations vis a vis the ECHRā€¦

http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng?i=001-80038#{ā€œitemidā€:[ā€œ001-80038ā€]}

Arenā€™t all organized religions businesses? I mean, Iā€™m opened to being shown one that isnā€™t, but Iā€™ve never come across it. On the other hand, I tune out proselytizers, so perhaps Iā€™m not a good source.

1 Like

Indeed. Apparently, Karlheinz Deschnerā€™s Criminal History of Christianity is not yet available in an English translation. It provides plenty of evidence.

Trademarks and copyrights are extremely different things. A trademark is a declaration that you intend to use the term for commercial purposes. If the name of your religion is a commercial term, then I think there is an argument to be made about whether it is really a religion. The basic argument scans for me.

I believe most atheists understand that atheists are not entitled to ā€œreligious protectionsā€ whatever exactly that means. Atheists, like everyone else, are entitled to freedom of religion, which includs freedom to not be a part of any religion. A court cannot order Atheism to liquidate within six months, because there is no ā€œAtheismā€ to liquidate.

Similarly, to the extent the Scientology is a religion, people in Russia are free to continue to practice of it. However, the corporation Scientology, is being dissolved. Catholicism is not a corporation in Russia or in the US (i donā€™t believe so, anyway, I know individual churches sometimes incorporate and sometimes donā€™t), and that doesnā€™t stop Catholics from practicing.

I have no illusions that Russian courts are impartial, if I had to wager Iā€™d be more likely to bet on ā€œcorrupt as hell.ā€ But while religions exist whether or not the government likes it, corporations exist under statutes created by the government. Dissolving a corporation is within the governmentā€™s powers.

5 Likes