Russian scientist who worked on coronavirus vaccine is stabbed, falls out of window to his death

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/21/russian-scientist-who-worked-on-coronavirus-vaccine-is-stabbed-falls-out-of-window-to-his-death.html

9 Likes

I think even Donald Trump is smart enough to realize what his fate is if he gets on that plane to Russia.

11 Likes

A suspect ? Not the Russia I know

8 Likes

If only… you know Putin would keep him alive/happy/with a large soap box to shout how he’s “the legitimate president of the US but in ‘exile’”. Not so much in any hopes of actually putting him back in power but just to stir the pot.

16 Likes

Accidental death, Russian Style. Nothing to see here, people. He just fell off a building, onto some knives.

23 Likes

Guess it depends on whether he can keep up the enthusiasm from abroad, not sure if he’d want to risk that.

3 Likes

Are they developing a vaccine for stabby-falls? It seems to be contagious.

16 Likes

The suspect denied that he had stabbed Kagansky and claimed that the scientist had wounded himself,

“Is tragic. He fell on knife 7 times. Then he fell out window. For smart man, he is very clumsy.”

23 Likes

So did he foolishly warn them that he was going to tell some (western) media that the Russian vaccine ‘Спутник V’ was about as effective against covid as vodka? Why do the heirs of the KGB really believe that these overt tacky assassinations are still necessary? “oa! we have limited bullet budget!” (we now believe that the novachok was placed in Navalny’s underwear ‘near the crotch’ (still trying to find what the Russian for ‘crotch’ is)) -sigh-

10 Likes

I’d like to start this post with a defenestration joke, and if I think of one I’ll come back and edit the post to add it in.

But the crux of my post is that deaths like this seem like they must be about sending a message, because otherwise it’s more credibly deniable to just make the person disappear, right?

6 Likes

Vlad the Impaler?

10 Likes

don’t they usually have a heart attack first and then fall out the window? i seem to recall that’s how people unexpectedly die in Russia these days

7 Likes

I think the cult’s saint being in exile will only feed their fervor and violence.

2 Likes

But will he start to seem like a loser to them?

1 Like

A martyr, just like them, a victim of the evil government.

2 Likes

If there’s a way for them to funnel money to him… I think he’d be happy with it.

4 Likes

Plus I’m pretty sure it’s all part of the “Becoming a banana republic” package.

3 Likes

I wonder if MAGA types will prefer the Russian Vaccine™ despite believing that COVID19 is a hoax.

7 Likes

Does Putin have to be behind everything?

As Freud said, sometimes a murder is just a murder.

1 Like

Seems to be a theme here and I don’t think it has to do with improper window design in Russia.

15 Likes