Russian waitress rebuffs impudent client

Planning violence against someone probably means that you could have planned another reaction, leaving out violence. Defending yourself by projecting violence at an attacker is of a completely different moral quality. So I agree wholeheartedly!

Responsible, moral adults can use violence in certain situations without compromising themselves.

3 Likes

On the plus side, pretty much anything smart enough to have a central nervous system(and possibly some slime molds) has some sort of mechanism for learning to avoid aversive stimuli, so you don’t necessarily need to win on moral suasion to get the desired result.

The ‘let them hate; so long as they fear’ school of order maintenance isn’t optimal; but it has maintained a certain amount of order throughout history.

1 Like

In Russia, menu orders you?

3 Likes

In Russia, waitress serves YOU…no, wait…

6 Likes

As it happens, ‘served’ is a pretty flexible word. Waitresses perform one definition of it; he demanded that a waitress perform a second definition of it; and he got a third definition of it. Good and hard.

7 Likes

This was the kind and gentle response. A menu thwap is pretty harmless compared to what could have happened to him. Sounds like this boy couldn’t hold his liquor, or keep his hands to himself.

1 Like

It’s important to note that she didn’t initiate the violence, she was just much better at it.

7 Likes

Gaw, that was acutely cathartic. Quickly dampened the adrenal response to an asshat asshatting.

This is awesome but it feels a bit staged.

All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players.

And this particular playa just met the “Vaudeville Hook.”

It bugs me that the other waitress goes to assist the guy. He already has a crowd helping him, she ought to have gone to call security or the authorities since he was the instigator. It makes me worry that it is the sort of establishment where the customer is ‘always right’ and she’s thinking “Welp, I’m not losing my job.”. I hope I’m wrong and that the other server wasn’t punished for defending herself.

It tends to make you look like the Unabomber. To my mind, only Ezio Auditore can pull it off…

…okay, one other

And that’s a problem exactly… why?

So some garments offend some peoples’ tender visual sensibilities. That’s not my problem. That’s their problem. My problem is if whatever I wear is warm, soft, practical. How it feels to me, not how it looks to them.

It’s my problem, no one elses :slight_smile:

1 Like

How very considerate and not at all solipsistic.

The externalities for me being irritated is much higher than the externalities of looks. Getting a mad scientist unnecessarily irked is generally not a wise idea, bad things may happen. So I am actually being considerate, in a substance-above-appearance way.

I dunno - if you watch the timing, she doesn’t see what happens at all. She comes around the corner just in time for Wham. What happens next doesn’t look so much like siding with the customer, as trying to figure out what on earth to do. She pretty much gets a look-in before she goes back to the counter.

I don’t think you’re seeing her assisting, I think you’re seeing a deer in headlights.

4 Likes

That’s a good point. I thought she arrived sooner to see the second- and ultimate- menu strike, but you’re right; she may have missed the whole thing.

I just worked in so many companies where the employee always got thrown under the bus no matter what. I still would like to know that the other waitress is okay and kept her job.

1 Like

The pithy headline does this post a disservice. How about “Waitress fights back against sexual assault from customer”?

The dissonance between the attempt at humor in the headline and the reality of the assault is utterly beneath you, Mark. “Impudent”? It goes a lot further than disrespect… it’s fucking assault. Period. Get your shit together.

3 Likes

What is wrong with you people? Unwanted sexual advances are a problem, but you think glorifying bashing someone’s head in is an appropriate response? This is the better world you want to see?