Sabbath showdown: Chick-fil-A vs. New York State legislation

I think this is an aspect a lot of people don’t recognize in these contracts, particularly the airport ones. The travelers are a captive audience. The same is true for many of the students at universities or people in assisted living. There is very limited space and businesses that refuse to serve a full day shouldn’t get one of those spaces. The rest stops have a bit less of the captive audience thing, but it’s still a government owned site with limited space.

Edited to add: this was meant as an agreement and expansion on your statement. Possibly too much of an expansion :joy:

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: On the merits of creating freedom by forcing people to stay home on Sunday

A post was merged into an existing topic: On the merits of creating freedom by forcing people to stay home on Sunday

BACK ON TOPIC!!! If CFA is going to be in places like rest stops or airports, then they really should open make an exception and open on Sunday… :woman_shrugging:

14 Likes

They should but don’t because everyone has to suffer for their ability to express the religious preferences of the owners

Image Eye Roll GIF by AnimatedText

6 Likes

Seventh Day Adventists still think it means Saturday. But since the names of the days of the week weren’t invented until long after the alleged 6 day creation about 6000 years ago, I suspect we have no way to know for sure which is the work day of death.

6 Likes

I’d hate to be that bureaucrat who accepted that bid. Sure, let the attorneys sort out this snafu. I can’t count the number of times I drove my kids to Chick-Fil-A to grab some chicken tenders, only to find them closed because it was Sunday. My bad, but the next place that was open was less than 100 yards from there.

1 Like

Best to be safe and just pretend to work five days, then relax for two.

4 Likes

When McDonalds and Burger King ran the Thruway rest stops, they were 24/7, just like the gas pumps.

I can’t imagine what the Thruway authority was thinking when they gave GFA this contract. The request for bid should explicitly said “all day, everyday.”

5 Likes

Imagine if a deeply Christian company got the exclusive contract to clean the service stations’ lavatories, and refused to work on a Sunday.

5 Likes

Pretty sure Saturday wasn’t even a thing when that was written!
@socialclimber i owe you an appropriate beverage sedar wine perhaps. I don’t do Coca Cola.

3 Likes

… the Bible wasn’t actually written 6000 years ago

2 Likes

They really seem to be a perfect example of the Christian fundamentalist, far right, sue to get your way and if you fail break the law but whine and run to the safety of all the law your money can buy if something happens you don’t like ethos.

Do you have mandated extra pay for Sundays? Is that really why they are doing this? We have holidays dotted through the year, public holidays, where if you normally work you must be paid and if you are in a business that must open (like say food at a travel stop) you must be given other time off in lieu. Is getting around pesky labour laws the root of this?

I think the Wobblies were right: four day week, four hour day.

4 Likes

I didn’t say it was. If you use the chronologies in the first few books of the Old Testament, it alleges the 6-day creation occurred about 6000 years ago. God is alleged to have spent 6 days creating and then rested on the 7th day, which spawned the ''keep the sabath holy" slogan that lead to the death work day nonsense. Most Young Earth Creationists believe the universe is about 6000 years old.

Done that, and I HIGHLY recommend it, ours was the 32 hours over 4 days way, IIRC we ended up settling on Fridays off as it made sense to have as many people working together as possible in a creative industry.

5 Likes

Uh…no, that’s just some shit that far right wingnuts made up by numerology to prove that the end times are here… amazingly, they’re always wrong…

6 Likes

To be fair it was the then Primate of All Ireland, Archbishop Ussher who did the sums and popularised it. It’s still on the Church of Ireland’s Book of Common Prayer last I checked.

I believe it was done to prove that geologists were wrong (and catholics obvs).

1 Like

When was he around? I’m pretty sure that Isaac Newton was into that stuff, too… like he spent quite a bit of free time trying to calculate the date for the end of the world…

2 Likes

1625 - 56 primate of all Ireland. Stephen Jay Gould has (as usual) a great essay on it.

I think geologists had already started arguing for an infinite universe that they persisted in until the late 19th century.

ETA

I’m sure others predated him but I do believe he was particularly influential.

Another addition from teh wikis:

2 Likes