Sacha Baron Cohen confronts Roy Moore with a beeping "pedophile detector"

Fascinating? Are you Mr. Spock?

Nothing but questions? Are you Socrates?

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s only the cash. These right-wing politicians usually want to pander to their Xtianist base by using the connection between the Israeli far right and Xtianists who are fans of “Left Behind”.

5 Likes

Yeah, when it’s terrible when people mindlessly adopt evil thoughts like equality, and respecting people of different colors and religions and nationalities and sexual orientation, and expecting government to help people in need, and not being so greedy and small-minded and hypocritical.

It is an error to try to make a symmetry out of a basic asymmetry. There is a big difference between vilifying people who want to exclude people not like them (anywhere from extraditing them to murdering them), and vilifying people because they’re against excluding people not like them. The first is justified; the second isn’t.

9 Likes

Is… that not a word used by humans outside of Star Trek?

Hmmm… need to re-adjust my settings and download an updated language database…

11 Likes

live-long

8 Likes

I tried to find the perfect gif to respond to you with. However,

16 Likes

So much yoinkage; thanks.

3 Likes

Self-righteousness does not create progress.

My issue is people basically making an Mad Lib out of “When ____ are sending their people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending their ____, their ____, their ____, and some I assume are good people”

The most liberal towns have wealthy, white pockets where brown people cannot walk down the sidewalk, or enter a business.

Throwing a net over everyone is just adding to the Us vs Them which is getting progressively worse. Go after the people in power, not the people.

I am not a fan of Cohen or his act; but I am also not empathetic to anyone who he targets that lives a life of shitiness to others and is now being called out on it. Sort of reminds me of the line from Grosse Pointe Blank…

Marty: If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

2 Likes

Tell that to the Proud Boys.

4 Likes

Huh? Really? I’m just trying to figure out what towns you are talking about because I’ve been all over this country and lived in some of its “most liberal towns” and cannot picture the streets you are referring to. If by “town” you mean something smaller than a city, then please point out the street in Sebastapol or Provincetown where “brown people cannot walk on the sidewalk.” If by “town” you are referring to cities, then tell me where this happens in SF or Minneapolis. (I’ll grant that SF is horrendously racially segregated but there is no policing of who can walk on the streets anywhere there, or MPLS. Sitting on the sidewalk is a different matter in both cities, in shopping districts, which I agree is an invitation to racist enforcement.)

8 Likes

Apparently every single human being singles out some group of other human beings as the ones it’s ok to hate. What a mess.

2 Likes

Again, your point here? That those people weren’t actually saying racist shit, they were tricked into saying it, that they are unable to think for themselves and can only mimic fox news talking points?

I mean, from the linked article in the Vulture piece:

So many members responded with hate, some with blatant racism and a whole lot of ignorance.”

This didn’t need to be their response, and in fact, the article notes that several left during the course of it.

Sounds like a case of some people’s beliefs being expressed in a public way, when they might not say that in public otherwise. They were paid to be part of a focus group (which isn’t uncommon at all). And given that something similar happened in Tennessee involving an actual mosque in an actual community, this seems like a rather valid issue to explore:

6 Likes

Liked for the Martin Blank reference.

4 Likes

millie fink wrote: “Why do you feel sorry for racists who have their racism exposed and lampooned?”

I know I shouldn’t feel sorry for them, at least when it comes to their racism and ignorance. It’s just when I see them in skits like the “Quinceañera” one I was referring to in this episode, and I imagine their embarrasment and their discomfort afterwards, I can’t help but feel sorry for them a little bit. If I had to “ensnare” people like that in a skit like this, it would almost be impossible for me not to let them off the hook too easily–it’s a weakness I have. I wondered how common this weakness would be among BB readers (apparently, not very common, to judge by the number of comments diagreeing with me compared to the single “like” that the comment got).

1 Like

The show is definitely SBC’s usual style of cringe-worthy comedy and great to see Roy Moore in the hot seat. It would be amazing if he could talk trap some of these politicians into a bit of the realization to how ridiculous they actually are instead of the same ol’ lampooning. Also very soft on liberals so far. Im no R. or T.rump supporter but you’re not gonna get a laugh out of Sanders that easily with a lazy redneck sterotype.

I’m referring to the racial segregation that is prevalent in nearly every city in this country. I go to Lake Oswego with my Mexican friends, and there are looks, people asking “Where are you from?” or “What are you?” There is this air that “you don’t belong here” that is projected onto them. It reminds me of growing up gay in the south. I would constantly hear “Where you from, boy” because the assumption was that since I did not look like them, I did not belong. And it’s the unwelcome, un-trusting behavior which is sickening to see grow.

Because trolling people for the Lolz is one of the main reasons that got Trump into power. People forget the humor, and then take the incidents and reactions as fact, it confirms their initial biases, and leads to more extreme thinking.

My fear is that after Trump, we will have someone just like him.