Sacha Baron Cohen plays Borat to lambast Trump, Kanye, and U2 at Kennedy Center Honors

Originally published at: Sacha Baron Cohen plays Borat to lambast Trump, Kanye, and U2 at Kennedy Center Honors | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I had no idea they spoke Polish in Kazakstan.

6 Likes

You might be surprised that about 5% of the population of Kazakhstan speak German dialects.

10 Likes

I recognized the first word from my Polish ex-MIL - Good Evening, I think?

2 Likes

The Borat schtick has always depended on his American audience knowing almost nothing about Kazakstan except maybe that it used to be part of the Soviet Union. That’s how Cohen was able to get so many people to accept his people’s “customs” unchallenged, like how Kazakh religious beliefs are based around worship of “the hawk” or how it’s traditional to pay respect to one’s host by serving them cheese made from a spouse’s breast milk.

7 Likes

“I must say I’m very upset about the antisemitism in the US today. It’s not fair. Kazakhstan is the number one Jew-crushing nation. Stop stealing our hobby. Stop the steal! Stop the steal!”

That one made me laugh more than I probably should have.

6 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

His character speaks a combination of Polish, Hebrew and Yiddish, and in the og film his sidekick spoke Armenian.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.