Sacramento authorities baffled by unauthorized fire truck tapping fire hydrants

19 Likes

My first thought based on the shorts youtube has decided I want to see: Stealing water for their pressure washing side hustle.

4 Likes

Has anyone checked up on Ng Security Industries?

“I tried prostheses for a while – some of them are very good. But nothing is
as good as a motorized wheelchair. And then I got to thinking, why do motorized
wheelchairs always have to be tiny pathetic things that strain to go up a little
teeny ramp? So I bought this – it is an airport firetruck from Germany – and
converted it into my new motorized wheelchair.”

5 Likes

My city owns the utilities here, including the water system, and periodically they go all over town opening hydrants and flushing the lines, apparently to keep the potable water clean.

5 Likes

Maybe it’s profitable now to truck CA water to those AZ suburbs that got cut off when the local municipalities stopped selling it to local tank suppliers.

6 Likes

Among other reasons the fire hydrant lines have to be flushed so that the gunk that accumulates doesn’t block the nozzles of firehoses at the worst time.

13 Likes

Your comment immediately reminded me of this video and the initial blast of black, stagnant water…yikes. Must have smelled awful.

4 Likes

How do they know the truck wasn’t pumping water back into the system?

2 Likes

The hydrant is equipped with a backflow preventer?

5 Likes

Do they keep them filled up year round in California?

In August all of the public pools shut down, though private ones may last another month or two, depending on the weather.

1 Like

Do they operate an illegal golf course?

2 Likes

The fire department’s tweet on August 24 says the unmarked engine was “driving around the city flowing water at various locations”… It looks like the high temp in Sacramento was 95F on both Aug 23 and 24. Maybe they were just opening the hydrants so that kids could play in the water?

As far as selling the water or using it themselves, how much profit there’d be in it might depend on how far they’d be transporting it, and the cost of fuel. A very quick Google search tells me that fire engines might get 3 to 5 miles per gallon, and use 2 gallons diesel for every 30 minutes idling…

6 Likes

Hydrant sap. If you gather hydrant sap and boil it down long enough, you get delicious hydrant syrup. The real challenge is having the patience, time, and volume of sap needed to get a good, concentrated syrup.

11 Likes

The grass must grow!

2 Likes

More on the owners of the truck: scumbag landlord(s):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sacramento/comments/1613zd6/theres_a_fake_fire_truck_on_the_loose_in_our_city/

Yelp reviews of their apartments:

Arrest records of Mr. Beers:
https://services.saccourt.ca.gov/PublicCaseAccess/Criminal/CaseResultsByName?firstName=scott&lastName=beers&isExactNameSearch=True

3 Likes

This clears it up, or not.

3 Likes

Interesting that we all jumped to the conclusion that they were stealing the water. Watching the video, they actually seem to have been releasing water.

1 Like

Years ago I recall seeing an (apparently) illicit water filling from hydrants in a small town - (this would have been somewhere up in Northern California/Eastern Oregon). One of those mid-sized straight-trucks with a translucent horizontal cylinder tank, so you could see the water level and I remember being amazed at the flow rate - topped off in what seemed like seconds. They just rolled up all casual, popped the hydrant with a proper looking tool filled up and split. Lots of off-grid ag up in those parts.

4 Likes

I’ll admit that my first thought was to fear that these guys are preparing to volunteer firehose BLM protesters “like in the old days”. I probably shouldn’t stereotype a couple of northern CA shirtless white guys with extensive backbtattoos and wraparound Oakleys, but they do make it tough to stick to that principle…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.