Sacrelicious Barbie and Ken mods: Jesus, Mary, Kali

[Permalink]

A wonderful thing if you find insulting fundamentalists fun I suppose. Otherwise, kinda tacky.

1 Like

Anything based on Barbie is bound to be somewhat tacky. Thatā€™s the nature of the beast. Personally, yes I do find insulting fundamentalists fun!

8 Likes

I am offended that nobody is offended. Where is the outrage? Is this not the internet?

2 Likes

Unfortunately it empowers them and helps them to reinforce and spread their worldview. (ā€œUnfortunatelyā€ because yes, it surely is fun!)

That Kali/Durga Barbie needs more blood, but is otherwise pretty excellent! And I donā€™t think Hindus will be offended, they are usually pretty cool with idolatry.

6 Likes

Tie in a mobile app, and youā€™ve got full-fledged iDoll-atry!

4 Likes

Whereā€™s Barbieā€™s sis, L Ron Skipper?

7 Likes

Because itā€™s all been done before and is not longer edgy or original.

1 Like

ā€œThe pair is working on Islam figurines and plans to skip representing Muhammad, as this religion condemns representing the prophet.ā€
from the click through from the article.
So courting controversy just a little bit then, with only a sprinkling of blasphemy.

2 Likes

Skirt of human arms, garland of severed heads, check and check.

ā€¦but whereā€™s the lolling tongue? and standing on a head? pfff.

Iā€™m not Hindu and donā€™t attribute religiosity to Kali so wasnā€™t insulted by this but it does strike me as apt that the Ultimate Representation of Absolute Destruction would be represented using a Barbie doll.

Kali is, for want of a better expression, my favorite memeplex, as evidenced by the Yantra that my avatar is but the furore surrounding the doll reminds me that there are masses of humorless people who IMO canā€™t help but grab the wrong end of the stickless stick.

1 Like

Iā€™d give that appellation to Lord Shiva, the Destroyer. Kali is the Devourer, who in her aspect as Time stands over Shiva (literally). But in some branches of Hinduism they are basically masculine and feminine aspects of the same principles, despite Shivaā€™s ash-whiteness and Kaliā€™s night-blackness.

Who am I kidding. I donā€™t hardly know jack about Hinduism. Itā€™s a vast subject.

2 Likes

Vast and interpreted in many ways; one of my favorite stories about Kali is her surprise when Shiva asks ā€˜herā€™ to present herself in her most ecstatic, violent form, his favorite.

Kali is often represented standing on Shivaā€™s chest, he has placed himself underfoot of Kaliā€™s reality shattering victory/war dance in an effort to save it all from shaking apart.

Kali is before even destruction, to my ā€˜understandingā€™; the impossible chaos from which the destruction that is transformation-through-time arises. Shiva places himself underfoot in an effort to calm Kaliā€™s dance, which nobody, not even the God of Destruction, wants.

3 Likes

Now Iā€™m imaging the final scenes of Ghostbusters featuring Kali Barbie instead of the Stay-Puft Man

(I know, I know, not Sumerian)

1 Like

i need to add ā€œSacreliciousā€ to my dictionary

3 Likes

Hi, Im a fundamentalist.

Cue some beheadings and there you are, racing to fulfill orders while disappearing from public view.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.