Sad, weird "sheet of paper waist challenge" in China

Redefine office supply closet as him.

I’m a former anorexic.

I don’t think I could have “passed” this test at any point, because of genetics. Some healthy women may prove that they have a thin waist by doing this challenge but it doesn’t mean that it isn’t a psychologically unhealthy practice.

4 Likes

I could probably have passed it in high school or college, (when I also had a thigh gap and a “bikini bridge” and all that other stuff) and it still would have been pointless, because guys told me I was “too skinny” and had “a figure like an 8 year old boy”. There’s always gonna be something.

15 Likes

None of the women in the linked article look even close to anorexic.

1 Like

Based on some of the comments in this thread… I’ve never understood why “ewww fat chicks!” is met with such disdain, yet it’s acceptable to say “ewww skin and bones!”, or “ewww skeleton girl!” Or why it’s more acceptable to tell a skinny girl “go eat a sandwich” but telling a fat girl “you need to diet” is unacceptable. Both really cross the line and shouldn’t be considered acceptable. My girlfriend is a tall skinny girl and I can’t believe the comments she’s gotten in this regard, she eats relatively healthy (if anything too much junk food), but she doesn’t put weight on. Her whole family is like that.

Nothing wrong with having preferences in looks when looking for a partner. It’s the comments about people that don’t conform to other people’s ideal look that gets me. Making comments like that about people that don’t fit your standards is as bad as encouraging people to have unhealthy habits to strive to those standards.

Anyways I’m not claiming to be perfect by any means, and I know I’ve made comments like that in the past. It’s just something that I’ve tried to become more conscious of over the years.

8 Likes

And frankly, whether one is an asshole to the ones that you ARE attracted too…

2 Likes

Paul bunyon hands here (and feet!). I just put my hands around my own neck, and while I could do it there were only a few millimeters of give. A waist that small is the size of my neck. Does that mean imma gonna be called Ol’ Waistneck?

4 Likes

I gave it a go. Then I turned the sheet sideways. Then I shrugged and ate more chocolate.

11 Likes

And, uh, any other parts?
Asking for Trump a friend.

1 Like

Ah, photographic perspective games. One of the oldest photographic tricks in the book, literally.

Outdoorsy types do this with fish and game, to make the game bigger, but not themselves.

You will occasionally see the internet hoaxer do this with a giant fluffy cat or whatever.

Same shit, different day.

1 Like

Elsewhere on the BBS, there was a thread where I took the same position. I got a lot of hate, and had to explain it a few times.

I believe it was in response to a post about makeup and some GG type calling that deception. A lot of dudes piped up about how they like women without makeup better, and I just said: it’s dumb to do that. It’s white knight-ing or something like that. But I think I was perceived as being unsupportive to women or something, when what I was really saying “women, you shouldn’t wear makeup because you’re beautiful without it” is just as unproductive as saying “women, you should wear makeup because you’re all uggos”. It’s not men’s jobs to play beauty pageant judge, and affirming the opposite of one sexist idea can still be sexist.

Anyway, all this is to say I totally agree on your point here.

1 Like

I do find it sad to be in places where most women are wearing a lot of make up to their workplaces or around town and so on - not because I personally find one more attractive than the other, but it does take work and money and reflects society’s expectations on those women. Pointing it out is just putting extra pressure on people and it’s none of my business anyway, but I really dislike the culture that tells women that they have to look a different colour, happier, a different shape and so on in order to be acceptable in public. Women who are comfortable and confident in themselves are attractive, and it’s generally our collective fault if they aren’t allowed to be comfortable with who they are (or if we can’t see their attractiveness, whether or not we’re interested in them as a partner).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.