Saga Volume 8: the best space opera in comics tackles abortion, gender identity, and vengeance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/02/more-cliff-hangers.html

Saga is the best space opera in comics, a masterpiece of serial storytelling from Fiona Staples and Brian K Vaughan, whose character designs – a cross between Vaughn Bode and the Mos Eisley Cantina – and fearless war-scenes combine with masterful cliff-hanger storytelling to weave a tale that hurts even as it makes you bellow with laughter. The eighth collection in the series ships today and the story shows no sign of slowing down.

3 Likes

Well that’s a cheerful image to wake up to.

7 Likes

a cross between Vaughn BodSaga Volume 8: the best space opera in comics tackles abortion, gender identity, and vengeancee and the Mos Eisley Cantina

@doctorow, I think an accidental ctrl-v snuck in there.

Also, I second @TheGreatParis, do we have to have that level of gore as the headline photo?

3 Likes

lying cat from saga

4 Likes

Goes over to look at main site page… hmm that is too much? Seriously?
Then again I have seen way worse and giggled my head off at it and seen even tamer things that totally squicked me out.

2 Likes

Just binge-read Vol 8. Simply incredible stuff.

Is anyone else getting the impression the series is winding down? Just a hunch…

1 Like

“I got your nose!”

2 Likes

This was my jumping off point sadly. The story has been spinning its wheels and sprawling for while now and I’ve been growing tired of Saga’s ‘adult shock’ gags and seeing the first issue open with ABORTIONTOWN was the end of it for me. The art is the only thing it has going for it.

It has me worried for Paper Girls too. I’m giving that one more book to start at least giving some answers otherwise imma jump ship.

I feel like getting older has made me a bit less fond of imagery of noses being bitten off, not that I was perhaps ever very fond of it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.