Samsung satellite crashes in family's yard

…from LG.

Its pretty shitty that Samsung and whoever they paid to set this up didn’t consider what it might hit on the way down.

3 Likes

Tandoori

4 Likes

Samsung flew, everybody knows one
Samsung blew every garden grows one

2 Likes

Yeah, releasing balloons with cargo into the stratosphere is a Youtube genre all by itself at this point. More cost-effective than a lot of other stunts.
Samsungs effort to window-dress the package as an ostensibly legitimate satellite was an creative twist on the trope, even though it would never settle into orbit.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Worst Super Hero origin story evar!

8 Likes
4 Likes

Spiderman should play the trumpet!

3 Likes

I wish, I wish, I wish you’d care.

3 Likes

This is a hoax. No way could those solar panels remain attached during reentry. And the whole thing looks remarkably unsinged for supposedly going through a process where the temperature measures in the thousands of degrees.

1 Like

NASA disagrees
(The main solar panels on the ISS were also rolled up, but they’re made up of rigid solar cells, on a flexible backing, so it might be more correct to say that normal solar cells don’t bend, but panels can)

4 Likes

I work with people who build and launch radio telescopes that fly under balloons. They aren’t called satellites, they’re called payloads, and the frame is called the gondola. My dad worked on one of the very first balloon-borne telescopes in the mid sixties. His co-worker’s daughter has the gondola in her back yard to this day.

Also, look for the film of the failed launch attempt fro ma few years ago, where the gondola was dragged along the ground, and nearly killed a couple in a car observing the launch.

10 Likes
4 Likes

I’m enjoying all the anti-Samsung comments, considering between me and my SO, we’ve had 6 Samsung Galaxy cellphones, and we’ve traded 4 of them in, in perfect working order after years of service, for new (Samsung) models. They might be Apple ripoffs, but they work, and they’re not Apple products. Win-win.

Oh, and this wasn’t a satellite, clearly. Satellites don’t have landing gear.

3 Likes

I can’t believe how dastardly Samsung is. They copy Apple phone features years before Apple launches them! And the sad thing is - they keep doing it, time after time…

1 Like

The Daily Fail? I am no required to doubt the existence of satellites, Samsung, and backyards

1 Like

Sponsorship from beyond the grave. Appropriate for this month.

1 Like

Yeah, the ROSA arrays are rigid cells mounted on a flexible polymer blanket that allows the panel to roll up (and Z-fold into storage, if memory serves).

There is work being done on thin-film solar cells that can be made flexible if the film is deposited on a flexible substrate, but they are far less efficient than the monocrystalline cells that are usually specced on satellites.

The “solar panels” on the Samsung prop are made to look like monocrystalline-cell panels, but the “cells” themselves are bendy and flexible, so definitely not a real solar panel.

2 Likes

Beat me to it! Well done!

:musical_note: I don’t want to change the world.:musical_note:

1 Like