Samuel L. Jackson portrays the legendary John Shaft

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/samuel-l-jackson-portrays-the.html

6 Likes

Every good hero needs a great theme song.

12 Likes

you mean, again.

8 Likes

Even Mulder approves.

2 Likes

Saw that one in the theater. It was better than I expected.

This one looks fun too though giving away the classic nod to the original in the trailer was kinda lame.

The original though is beautiful to watch. Gordon Parks used his excellent photography background to set up some amazing scenes of New York.

6 Likes

exactly what I came here to say

It’s not new. @jlw has just recently returned to us from the year 2000.

ETA: Another one?! Damn, Hollywood, just go and make some new movies once in a while, why don’t you? Sheesh. (Adds the new Shaft remake to list of movies to check out when it comes to home video) (sorry, @TobinL).

The original has its own charms, and it’s not really fair to compare the two. Different eras, different styles of film making.

1 Like

Nope, this is a brand new Shaft for 2019.

3 Likes

So it’s both “Shaft” and “Son Of Shaft” in one?

4 Likes

Also the trailer for the original is awesome…
Hotter than Bond, Cooler than Bullitt.
If you wanna see Shaft ask your mama.

10 Likes

crosses fingers
Please be as good as the trailer.
Please be as good…

5 Likes

Meh.
This Shaft has no class, mostly due to the poor humor, and Samuel L Jackson’ age I’m afraid: he’s 70 and Richard Roundtree is only 6 years older LOL (Roundtree was 31 in 1971).
The 1971 version is still immaculate.

1 Like

“Shaft in Studio!” Love everything about this, from the relentless drum pattern to the conductor’s chest-baring floral ensemble to the button-down string section following their sheet music to the backup singers dancing in their tight jumpsuits…I just never realized that the whole thing was done with all the musicians live in studio. Makes it even more of a masterpiece to me.

4 Likes

We need a “Grandson of Shaft” tune.

ETA: The “Son of Shaft” clip above is from the film WattStax, which I highly recommend.

3 Likes

Maybe if it had Michael Jordan.

1 Like

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

(Extra sentence added to appease the spam filter)

1 Like

I’m not certain that’s so. It may have been poor film editing, but the sync was off in spots. They may have all gathered together for the video, but not necessarily recorded it all together live.

1 Like

We’re only talking about shaft!

2 Likes

IIRC, this is the fifth film in the SCU (Shaft Cinematic Universe, which also includes the ‘73-‘74 tv show). And yes, SLJ is six years younger than Roundtree, but he’s supposed to be a nephew rather than a son (at least he was in the 2000 film, which this is supposed to be in-continuity with).

Also, for added hilarity, apparently Tarantino imagined Django Unchained as a prequel to the Shaft series, meaning Shaft (2019) could be seen as the sixth film in the SCU.

3 Likes

I’d watch whatever movie
Samuel L. Jackson
is in.