San Francisco Catholic church installs watering system to spray on homeless people

We’re having a drought. It hasn’t rained in ages.

2 Likes

It made a huge stink, instead of keeping the stink off your doorway like you intended?

It made a PR mess, instead of washing away of the mess of some poor person’s life like you intended?

“Defensive Architecture” : http://www.dismalgarden.com/archives/defensive_architecture

Well said, but remember the whole moneychanger scam was somewhat complex, and it’s arguable which part or parts of it Jesus was objecting to.

You had to exchange your commonplace secular Greek and Roman graven-image type money for the more religiously acceptable Jewish shekels so you could buy ritually pure animals for sacrifice to Yahweh, who (quite literally, according to scripture) enjoys the smell of burnt offerings. The temple priests decided, no doubt for certain considerations, who got to set up in the forecourt of the temple and perform these transactions in money and livestock. Jesus said that these moneychangers and animal vendors were exploiting poor people and widows, by charging extortionate rates for doves, the least costly animal. Apparently he felt that everybody should have the opportunity to murder dumb animals and waste their flesh in order to suck up to a deity who delights in the stench of burning fats and organ meats, no matter how poor the penitent; Jesus was something of a communist, really. Today the modern Catholic church prefers to burn incense, and your contribution to the offering plates are purely voluntary, and communism is right out.

5 Likes

I actually thought this was going to be a positive story from the headline. In Mecca, they’ve installed water misting apparatuses around outdoor holy sites to cool people off in the hot sun. I thought this was going to be the same thing. Guess not.

Wait till the Pope hears about this.

3 Likes

To paraphrase just a little bit: 'Truly I tell you, whatever liquid your building automatically pissed on the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, your building pissed on me.’

11 Likes

Of course. But… (dramatic pause) Which half?

1 Like

That passage is very much open to interpretation, and not at all clear, but animal sacrifice was not practiced in the first century.

Here I was, thinking it was a high-speed mass-baptism system.

5 Likes

Mm. Korbanot was practiced all the way up until the destruction of the second temple in 70 CE. Jesus is purported to have lived during that period and would have seen animal sacrifices.

1 Like

It goes off once or twice an hour, for a bit more than a minute. How long does it take you to do a shit?

Holy water?

Maybe the original idea was to use it to wash off the poop from the steps, until they one day figured out they could use it to mess with those leaving it there for the lulz. I bet they have at least one CCTV bloopers animated gif out there.

Boo hoo…try being homeless…

2 Likes

Gotta make sure the paying customers have easy access to the collection plate.

1 Like

I tried to read the New Testament once, many years ago. Hey, I was in love with a religious woman. I got through the Gospels. Cool, who could argue with that shit? Then along comes Paul. Fucking asshole. The church has not represented the spirit of Christ since then. That was about 2000 years ago. Jesus would not be surprised.

You dare suggest I don’t know everything? Guards! Sieze him!

One Mr. Nietzsche asserted: “The very word “Christianity” is a misunderstanding — in truth, there was only one Christian, and he died on the cross.” (but less in translation and more in german, obviously).

1 Like

SCENE: INTERIOR of the Cathedral

The doors to the sanctuary are flung open wide. The ARCHBISHOP and his AIDE look up, their discussion interrupted by the disturbance.

A man stands in the doorway. He is dressed in several layers of ratty clothing with a hood concealing his features in the half-light. Water drips off of him, as he is clearly soaked to the bone.

He pulls down the hood. It is JESUS CHRIST.

SFX: Thunder.

3 Likes

Hi, I am not replying to this post but to the article. How dare the Church spray on people who have nowhere olive! You should be more than ashamed of yourselves. Would you like it if someone were to spray water on you? I think in that case you would feel humiliated and rightly so. Eugenia Renskoff