Sanders supporters' Nevada complaint ignored by party and press, reported as criminal disturbance

6 Likes

Veep candidates do nothing for me. Mainly because they have no real constitutional power. Unless you expect the candidate to die, I see no benefit to a progressive veep. There’s the assumption that they can bend the ear of the president in certain ways, but I think veeps are easier to resist than campaign contributors and lobbyists. I have never cared about that position unless the person was a complete nincompoop like Palin.

As for the “you don’t want Trump to win!” crowd, I think we should be very loud from the start that we’re not going to accept any of the blame for any disaster that befalls us at the end of the general- though I suspect it won’t happen. I think we’ve made the point over and over again that Clinton is a polarizing candidate in an election where people are ready to elect a populist candidate and are somewhat sick of politics as usual.

7 Likes

I like the idea Sanders supporters are proposing to organize against Drumpf and the fascists independently rather than backing the party.

Negotiate a better dem platform, beat the fascists in the national election and go on to target local and midterm elections with progressive campaigns through 2018.

3 Likes

Or better yet, come with a list of demands:

• Abolition of the Privatization of Prisons, Schools, Water, and other public utilities that should be paid by Taxpayer’s money.
  • Abolish all donations from individuals that have an annual income more than $ 1 billion (will tighten up this broad term to leave no loop hole behind); this include from paying for lobbyist to school donations.
  • Impose a term limit for all branches of federal government.
  • Eliminate Electoral College.
  • Tax anyone with an annual income of over $ 1 billion 10% for major public services and utilities.
  • Abolish any acts and laws that undermines and defunds any of the federal programs besides military and defense.
  • Eliminate riders to upcoming bills.
  • Rebalance the Budget to strengthen social services and regulation programs.
  • Regulate Lobbyist to eliminate corporate involvement.
  • Abolish Lobbying firms.
  • Increase Economical and Environmental Regulations on corporations and banks.
  • Blockade all products made from nations with lose regulations on labor and environment until they follow suit.
  • Eliminate the Federal Reserve and withdraw from the IMF.
  • Reform the Drug Administration to use all of the research on the nation’s state funded universities to implement restriction and abolishment of certain substances.
  • Abolish political advertisement and make it mandatory to inform the populace of the candidates of the upcoming elections.
  • Regulate the Agriculture industry to enact more moral restriction on production of food.
  • Harsher restriction on pesticide
  • Remove deal with oil industry (including OPEC)
  • Include deal with renewable and environmentally friendly energy (along with research.
  • Impose an restriction on who can be elected as an official on local to federal government (to prevent businessmen like Trump from becoming President).
  • Arrest Charles and David Koch for Treason (with an $10 billion fine just for shits and giggles).
  • etc. (we need a new topic on this on how can we fix our government)

There’s so much to list, but the gist is that the Federal Government is fundamentally broken to the point that the election won’t solve shit.

13 Likes

I love this game.

If a genie gave the power to call a general strike and get one but only one change, which would you pick?

Which change would bring enough realignment to accelerate the other changes too.

I’d cancel constitutionally protected “artificial person” status for corporations.

4 Likes

The followups to the tweet from this petition’s author are unintentionally hilarious.

The VP can always place the POTUS into a 14th century trebuchet and launch her over the ramparts of a castle wall.

4 Likes

When I graduated HS, it was more or less assumed that you’d either go to college right away or “work your way through” college unless you were pursuing a trade or had a severe hardship.

These days? I know very few people in their late-20s or early-30s with a degree. Most seem to go temping or retail jobs right away until they can save up enough to go to school in their 30s.

My Facebook wall is turning into a fist-pumping seethe of people who started out as casual Bernie fans and who are now declaring that “being asked to support Clinton in the general is terrorism!” and “never Hillary, no matter what, even if Bernie pledges his support! If that means we get Trump, it’s Hillary’s fault!!”. The rhetoric is getting scary.

4 Likes

They can be a huge turnoff though. I mean, John McCain has gone through phases of being relatively rational and reasonable for a Republican, but then he had That Creature as his running mate.

4 Likes

He wanted Lieberman, didn’t he?

1 Like

I’ve always thought that people having some real-world experience would actually make their college experience richer and more valuable. The older students on campus had their shit together so much more when I was in school. I am, however, not in favor of economic destitution as a means to this end.

6 Likes

Absolutely. I wish more colleges used the model that my alma mater did: most majors were 5 year programs, and you were required to work a co-op job in your field every other quarter, starting after your sophomore year. So by the time I graduated, I not only had a year and a half of experience under my belt with incredibly valuable real-world training, but I had a good chunk of my loans paid off.

6 Likes

Progressive issues are unifying dems out from under HRC and attracting socially liberal, libertarian and working GOP voters too. It makes sense that economic issues are more unifying and winning as cultural wedge issues lose their fizz.

3 Likes

This is a WaPo reported breakthrough regardless of who wins the nomination … probably not enough yet though.

…
Democratic National Committee plans to offer a concession to Sen. Bernie Sanders — seats on a key convention platform committee — but it may not be enough to stop Sanders from picking a fight over the party’s policy positions.
…

1 Like

That’s a nice two party system you have there. Be a shame if anything happened to it.

6 Likes

No serious person doubts that leftists from Bernie’s generation know how to shut down a convention. He doesn’t need to bluster.

And he’s helping teach some of the youngest leftists in the country the skillset.

6 Likes

Or Bernie’s Fault, depending.

3 Likes

I wonder how Wasserman-Schultz feels about being the Mayor Daley figure in this year’s nomination process.

4 Likes

I haven’t followed this one. What’s the haps?

1 Like

Richard Joseph Daley (May 15, 1902 – December 20, 1976) was an American politician who served as the Mayor of Chicago for a total of 21 years (1955–1976) and chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee for 23 years, holding both positions until his death in office in 1976 […] While many members of Daley’s administration were charged with corruption and convicted, Daley was never charged with corruption.

3 Likes

Ah! Thank you! I need remedial instruction from time to time. :slight_smile: And good one @d_r.

1 Like