Sandy Hook Truthers are the worst

5 Likes

Well, ā€œFucktarded shitbagsā€ is not really something that one can label someone in polite discussion, so weā€™re already down one step from where we should be.

2 Likes

When I read the quote, ā€œindividual citizens are the ultimate authorityā€ a vision of Ayn Rand flashed across my mindā€¦

2 Likes

Or, perhaps we need to flush them more often.

The way I see it is that the problem is not the (often dubious) content of belief, but rather, the process of belief itself. Believing anything might be more trouble than it is worth.

To me, "Trutherā€™ implies bogus right off the bat. I have a friend who is a 9/11 truther. He is otherwise normal. But there is no way in Hell you will ever get him to believe otherwise. It is sad.

Whatā€™s wrong with rugby?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fallacious assertion right there. The only things raised in Rhode Island are chickens and graft.

2 Likes

Iā€™m ambivalent, here. Not really sure if I agree, or not. Cognitive dissonance is roiling.

Iā€™m leaning toward disagreeing with your statement about selective enforcement.

Letā€™s say we are talking about an energetic church service, where the minister and congregation are engaging in call-and-response patterns. The expected engagement is an appropriate response to the call, not any response. Somebody shouting out ā€œGOD IS A DEADLY ILLUSIONā€ is not participating according to the rules ā€“ they are being disruptive.

I think the same pattern applies to the public events.

When I say ā€œHullo, there!ā€ to you, you are entirely permitted to respond ā€œfuck off, assholeā€ ā€“ but you are being an asshole and breaking the rules of social exchange, not participating in it.

2 Likes

9 Likes

You know, Iā€™m pretty hardcore when it comes to freedom of speech. But Iā€™m thinking Iā€™d support legislation to make this kind of shit illegal. Just as you canā€™t yell ā€œfireā€ in a crowded theatre, deliberately causing such pain and distress to the parents of these children shouldnā€™t be allowed.

Actually, thatā€™s not a particularly good argument to use in defense of restricting speech.
https://popehat.com/2012/09/19/three-generations-of-a-hackneyed-apologia-for-censorship-are-enough/

Edit: Sorry, that link didnā€™t say what I thought it said. Corrected my lead-in to the link to be more accurate.

1 Like

Go, snail, go!

2 Likes

Organize your own rally. Pay your own money to put up a stage, rent a/v equipment and do all the planning and execution necessary to making sure itā€™s a big event and then say whatever you want. Itā€™s a free country. Nobody is stopping you.

2 Likes

I donā€™t believe in ownership. If it was their ā€œownā€ rally, then why did it need to be in public? Surely they could have rented a hotel or VFW somewhere private. The organizers chose to have their event in public, and to invite the public. Their feelings about public involvement appear to be conflicted, they are happy for it to make them appear civic, but only if they like what the attendees say.

I donā€™t have or use money, and the notion that I need to pay to host ā€œa big eventā€ simply to speak my mind in public is extremely offensive to me. Having a public commons is precisely for people to gather and speak their minds, that is its actual purpose. Also, ā€œwhatever you wantā€ sounds a bit frivolous, compared to having specific (if, in this case, unpopular) views and opinions.

Perhaps you missed the part where I already explained that this town is restrictive with regards to ā€œpermittingā€ events. Yes, there are people stopping me. My ex had experience trying to organize public events on ā€œtown propertyā€ here and the municipality was often uncooperative. There are areas here set aside for public use, but they only permit those whose events they like.

Each having our own private events in public is quite poor compared to a robust public forum. The main reason to put yourself up on a stage with amplifiers and guards is to attempt to control public discourse, I canā€™t respect that.

1 Like

12 Likes

I just popped the thermometer into this thread and it readsā€¦ Fully baked :D. I think opinions and thoughts have been thoroughly expressed, so Iā€™ll volunteer to ice it and mount the raspberries.

(Where am I going with this?)

5 Likes

Fruit puns?

Sandy Hook Denialists are the worst.

Itā€™s just down the road apiece, and my eldest is now in kindergarten.

Here?

or Here?

Or maybe even hereā€¦?

They are the worst, I believe there is consensus to that position, and the value of this discussion is low. It is no longer about SH or the terrible, awful event, the terrible people that deny it, or the repercussions of denial.

1 Like

I understand your position and you have argued it. Out of respect to us that feel strongly about school violence, lets put this particular debate to bed.

5 Likes