Santa doesn't want cookies. He wants beignets

Cracking Up Lol GIF

2 Likes
3 Likes

My BF entirely concurs, altho he’s had no objections to the box of homemade cookies his sis-in-law sent, nor the also homemade herbal ones a friend gave him Sat night at the Santarchy gig he played tophat-biggrin

He brought home a box of Cafe du Monde’s beignet mix he’d found at the food bank at work. He ranted and raved at me about how great the cafe and its beignets are.

I duly fried some up - I used yummy peanut oil for every batch - and he was delighted. So was I. I was surprised they’re not sweet, but didn’t realize they’re sposed to wear mountains of powdered sugar. They really are quite nice w/o all that sugar.

One morning at 6, I looked up recipes online b/c the box was gone, then spent the next two hours making a massive batch of dough and fryin’ it up. Having fresh warm ones that morning made him esp happy. He was ecstatic - he had beignets for days!

I was also quite pleased with my handiwork.

I’ve become a pretty good cook despite all mom’s efforts to the contrary. cook

7 Likes

Beignets??? Cookies!!! Here in the UK is HAS to be a mince pie - that’s a pie made with sweetmeat, no animals involved, necessarily. Unless it’s baked using butter it can be vegan. Don’t they have them in the USA? Why would you leave out a cookie when you could have a mince pie? …unless you wanted all the mince pies for yourself, of course.
A small glass of whisky or sherry is perfectly acceptable, and a carrot for the reindeer. They mustn’t eat too much as it makes them uncomfortable in harness.
Here’s Auntie’s recipe for mince pies.
(I’ve been Father Christmas four times this year. One up on last year.)

5 Likes

My spouse made a mince pie. It was good but intense. He said the idea of a mince pie was whatever fruits you have to hand, spiced to hell and then back again, and folded into a flaky pastry crust

Also, beignets, particularly freshly made

Hungry Yum Yum GIF by corgiyolk

4 Likes

Yeah, Santa wants mince pies and sherry. Source? Am Santa.

3 Likes

You know what Santa is not getting?

The apple pie my wife just made me, it’s mine, all mine, I don’t have to share with anyone.

7 Likes

I’ve had beignets at Cafe du Monde, and they were great. I don’t like coffee, chicory or otherwise, so I skipped that. Fresh mimosas are fantastic, though. (Best Filet I have had was in New Orleans too, though that was because it was a super fancy restaurant.)

Years later I had King Cake which is great, and most recently I found a local place that has Kouign-Amann, which is an AMAZING baked good if you can find them. Holy cow.

My grandpa used to be stationed there in the Coast Guard, so my grandma made some decent gumbo with okra, but I do not like okra. :confused:

2 Likes

They are great! It’s a must do in NOLA, for sure… Just, in general, New Orleans has some of the best food in the country.

6 Likes

Okra is, indeed, horrifying.

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m from Baton Rouge and love beignets.

Just wanna plug fry bread tho

4 Likes

8 Likes

ETA: Meant this to be a reply to @howaboutthis

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.