Satanic Temple display at Iowa Capitol destroyed by upset Christian man

Granted, but being blatantly discriminatory against Satan is kinda their whole schtick.
I’m not up on theology, but I’ve heard enough Moby songs to know that casting out Satan seems to be the acceptable face of intolerance, and has a beat you can dance to.

I don’t deny that it elegantly makes a point of distinction within the issues of church and state, but to those not paying attention, its all grist to their mill.

4 Likes

But do you worship it?

5 Likes

Let’s hope that trend continues.
Apparently, in Iowa, you can run for public office if you have a criminal record.

Awww. Poor delicate snowflake.
With that mindset, it’s just a matter of time until he starts burning down mosques and temples.

So, he admits he can’t be trusted to honor his oath of office.

It seems to me that an all-powerful god would have taken care of the matter itself, if it were actually bothered by the display… instead, it seems to rely on the likes of indoctrinated individuals to whom it whispers its will.
What a lame god this guy claims to worship.

14 Likes

If a person had destroyed a nativity scene or a menorah, there would be cries from all sides for charging them with a hate crime. So what about it, prosecutors? [Yeah, I know how deafening the silence will be on that front.]

15 Likes
4 Likes

I was thinking perhaps the law should be written such that any religious display that’s tampered with gets to be 50% bigger the next year, but of course that would just mean that some “Christian” would deface the nativity scene every year. (And blame it on Antifa, or BLM, or atheists, or Muslims, or…)

6 Likes

He’s been long accused of plagiarizing Ayn Rand’s writings on Objectivism, even.

4 Likes

rex-the-runt-aardman

5 Likes

Due to increasing costs, this years nativity scene will be more minimalist

19 Likes

:: points at belly bulge :: A little too much, over here.

May you be blessed by their Noodly Appendage.
Ramen!

9 Likes

Actually, that’s the case… Anton Levey was indeed influenced by Ayn Rand’s work, and cites her in his own writings…

And directly influenced by Rand, too!

yes.

7 Likes

this is as well labeled as a right wing political comic

should be a huge seller

I am disappointed by the lack of “CAMEL”, which was a mainstay of my childhood

3 Likes

You should recycle.

17 Likes

It’s a shame, I actually left work over lunch yesterday to go see it in person. My understanding is it was scheduled to be taken down today anyway.

It’s really fun in a cognitive dissonance way to say things like “the satanic temple is a good cause”.

4 Likes

With clams, yeah, I do…

2 Likes

Actually, being kind and loving other people, and practicing forgiveness, and doing good deeds is SUPPOSED to be the Christian thing… but mostly, modern Evangelicals seem bent on discriminating. And if Satan isn’t available, they always seem to find someone else to discriminate against.

6 Likes

/s because i guess i didn’t credit libertarians with that much self awareness :person_shrugging:

1 Like

All Hail Discordia! (Hey, it’s friday. Hot Dog Day. Cool)

4 Likes

That is indeed, part of the point - it’s playing off the evangelical worldview. The Satanic Temple is cosplaying as the imaginary boogieman variety of Satanists that evangelicals believe in (i.e. Christianity, but inverted). It’s a way of saying to evangelicals, “Oh, you want religion in the public square? Then you also have to have the literal opposite of what you want, not just some different flavors of Christianity/Abrahamic monotheism.”

11 Likes

You beat me to it, but I’m going to post the picture anyway!

12 Likes