Satellite image reveals China's secret military blimp

Originally published at: Satellite image reveals China's secret military blimp | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Jamey Jacobs said a blimp like this could be used as a “submarine of the skies,”

8 Likes

For context, that’s pretty small for a blimp. Most Goodyear blimps are about twice that long, and even the relatively puny Metlife Snoopy blimps are a bit longer than that.

The article doesn’t speculate whether or not this thing is unmanned, but I’d say there’s a decent chance that it isn’t carrying pilots.

10 Likes

Funny how the press has discovered Google Maps all of a sudden. Slow news day? Have interns scour Google Earth for interesting imagery.

From 2018:

4 Likes

“His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking.” This is followed by Kirk’s inspired use of the enterprise as if was a world war two submarine, instead of a vessel fully capable of three dimensional maneuvering.

2 Likes

But that would lead to wonky angles, and we can’t have that!

9 Likes

Might be something similar to the US’s plans for using high altitude lighter-than-air vehicles to monitor weapons tests, or just to provide communications for military forces in remote areas:

It’s nowhere as cool as the US Navy’s USS Macon:

4 Likes

But surely the Blimp would just fly overhead, take some photos and then some website in China will do a story that they’ve found the American Blimp. Which then…. Continue until leaders learn its better to spend money on universal health care than loads of fucking blimps taking pictures of blimps taking pictures of blimps.

It’s blimps all the way down.

4 Likes

That wasn’t meant to be a reply to you @MikeR its just I’m an idiot.

4 Likes

Hardly the first flying submariner. But definitely the least fabulous.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club - we should get T-shirts.

5 Likes

We’d print the t-shirts wrong.

7 Likes

Indeed, they used to be all the rage.

14 Likes

“You can expect because it’s available via satellite imagery that we’re tracking the object,” the official said.

Oh yeah? You only found out about the last one when it showed up over Montana. So pardon me if I take this claim with just a pinch of salt.

fixed it.

8 Likes

Propaganda much? Blimps? spy balloons? Inflation conflation.

2 Likes

Hot air is real.

2 Likes

This is the dumbest anti-China scare story yet.

ERMAGHERD DEY GOT A BLIMP!

Come on, CNN, do better. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Meh, any aircraft can hit the sea. Flying off again after, well…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.