Saturday morning TV cartoon schedules from the 1980s

You forgot Tom & Jerry Kids, or perhaps you did so on purpose. They used the Atari version of Donkey Kong for sound effects, fer cryin’ out loud.

Wow, I had totally forgotten about that. Some related reference material.

Fascinating–and also a bit depressing, because I know enough of the BBC’s history to know going in that very little of Zokko! remains.

I realize Dangermouse came along much later and was a much more conventional cartoon, but was it also part of Saturday morning programming? For my friends and I in the US it was broadcast after school on Nickelodeon, and we loved it. To say it was better than any of the Saturday morning cartoons we were used to would be damning with faint praise. I still love Dangermouse, and am thrilled that some of my friends have passed it on to their children.

1 Like

“Penfold, shush! Not during kung moggy practice.”

1 Like

Danger Mouse was also on after school down here in Oz. There was always a decent after school programme thanks to the Australian Broadcasting Corp!

Not sure how I feel about it yet, but there’s a remake on the way.

1 Like

I’ll reserve most judgment until I actually see it, but this is so terribly, terribly wrong:

Danger Mouse’s eye patch will be replaced by an “i-patch” with multiple technological functions and his headquarters too will be kitted out with “state-of-the-art wizardry”, said Fremantle in a statement.

1 Like

Tom Hatten spanned generations in my family, or close enough. When I was a kid, San Diego only had one independent TV channel that we could get (XETV-6, broadcast out of Tijuana, now the local CW affiliate) and that’s where I usually watched my afternoon cartoons, as well as the “4 o’clock movie” which usually had a weekly theme. (“Godzilla Week” happened almost every month, it seemed. Monday afternoon they showed the Raymond Burr version of Gojira, then they usually showed Rodan, Mothra, and maybe Godzilla vs The Smog Monster. Friday was always Destroy All Monsters, my all-time favorite to this day.)

But anyway, once we got cable TV circa 1978, we had a few more choices. San Diego was still a smallish market, so Cox Cable filled out the rest of the VHF dial with the LA indies, like KCOP-13, KTTV-11, and KTLA-5, where I watched Hatten’s Popeye show, followed immediately by his Family Film Festival, where I got my first views of such cinematic treats as Jason and the Argonauts and Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. I found out later that my older siblings (16 to 20 years older than I) had grown up watching Hatten on KTLA in the late 50s and early 60s, when the family still lived in Van Nuys, before I was born.

Tom Hatten felt like an old family friend, with or without his blue watch cap.

That sounds a lot like WPIX-11 in NYC, during the late 70s. I see that it is also a CW station, these days. When I lived near NYC, most of my afternoons were spent watching WPIX-11 and WNEW-5 (now WNYW), with a good deal of WNET-13 (PBS) thrown in.

Later on WPIX had TV Pix, which didn’t show up in D/FW until 6 years later.

That is absolutely fantastic!
I have the same nostalgia for Hatten (and for Godzilla flicks - watched as a child with my uncle - he and I still watch Asian cinema together, both high and low production quality).

Hatten was so very friendly on the screen, wanting to share his love of animation, and well-crafted family films with a new generation. He certainly sold me. I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s happily watching films from the 40s to 60s and animations from even earlier - Betty Boop and Silly Symphonies were from the 1930s! They lost nothing in the decades that passed.

2 Likes

Scrappy-Doo was the worst POS add-on. I was already “over” Saturday morning cartoons by then, or almost was, but I remember being viscerally offended.

1 Like

I don’t know, I think it’s Bat-Mite.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.