Saudi cleric: Earth does not revolve around Sun, moon landing was faked, because religion

OK, this is getting funny!

It was Buzz Aldrin, not anyone named Armstrong:

4 Likes

That’s really depressing, considering where algebra (Al-gebr) comes from.

3 Likes

Pork has its critics, but I’m perfectly fine with it.

Okay, that’s another thing.

Wait, seriously? They go to bed having absolutely no idea when the new moon will arise?

When you think how advanced their culture and scientific study was a thousand years ago, this is horribly sad…and a harbinger for what will become of the U.S.

4 Likes

It’s like going to a concert, and not knowing when the drum-solo will end*. WHY ISN’T THIS PREPROGRAMMED, PEOPLE! It’s not 1962 anymore, stop denying technology!

* generally, this feeling sets in after about 2 seconds, it’s a perfectly normal response, based on a genetically hardwired response dating to an early part of our tree-based period when proto-humanity’s primary predator was a tree-based percussion kit. A more primitive form, not like the ones found in a prog-rock outfit. More like a garage-rock kit. Swinging from vines.

Seriously – do you listen to music?

If you do, do you listen to rigidly programmed music played by machines, possibly with auto-tuned vocals (if you even allow that organic crap in in the first place)?

Or played by humans?

If the latter and not the former, why? How can you stand not knowing when the next note will occur, whether the pitch will be slightly-off or not?

2 Likes

Well, if he emigrated to the U.S. he could always find a job in the Tea Party.

1 Like

I suspect they know full well when the new moon will arise. I think they willfully disavow the knowledge until it is recognized by an authority. There are many different ways of acquiring knowledge.

1 Like

So if the airliner stops in midair, say over Chicago, wouldn’t it just fall straight through the earth to China?

So Islamic fundamentalist leaders are just as stupid as Christian and Jewish fundamentalist leaders? I wonder if this has to do with all three religions coming from the same basic teachings?

I’m not familiar with the show, but their wikipedia article suggests that they are pissing some people off, so I’m inclined to give them credit as legit satirists

Ultra-conservatives deemed this episode offensive to Islamic traditions.
The two stars of the show even received death threats from terrorists after the show aired an episode which attacked terrorism. Actors constantly receive death threats.
1 Like

I’ve known several relatively well informed people - western-educated North-Americans, including a grade-school teacher, who are convinced that the moon rises at night, regardless of its phase, so basic knowledge of orbital mechanics is not exactly ubiquitous even among people who are not fundamentalists

1 Like

Let me guess his position on Global Warming.

Wow. Any wonder why people will people believe anything.

That “whooshing” sound you hear is the joke going right over your (and chgoliz’s, apparently) head. SamWinston knew exactly what he was doing.

2 Likes

Holy shit, that makes the infinite universes of Mutant Turtles (with the original b&w comic versions at the center) from “Turtles Forever” make so much more sense!

1 Like

It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with controlling people’s ideas. If you can get them to believe that the earth doesn’t move, you can get them to believe anything.

2 Likes

I don’t know exactly when the crossover occurred; but the adoption of previously far-lefty-academic postmodern ‘inter-subjectivity’ and cultural relativism by the hard right must be one of the single most obnoxious developments in the past few decades…

1 Like

The authority to spout bullshit and be taken on faith is certainly a part of it; but the religiously-privileged writings involving various events that only work convincingly in a geocentric context(eg. Joshua 10:12) cannot be absolved.

Sometimes a literalist is just a literalist.

Well, Galileo tried and failed.

2 Likes

I suspect any Armstrong handy, or any strong arm, will do.

Omega race seems like it’s determined to make technical limitations into gameplay features.

2 Likes