Saudis confirm Jamal Khashoggi's death; top military official dismissed, 18 Saudis detained in probe

I’m glad this all sorted out finally. Guess everyone can relax now.

This was entirely predictable. They had painted themselves into a corner because of the location used, nobody else could have committed a murder in a diplomatic compound besides the owners. It was just a matter of time until the scapegoating started and unsurprisingly a bunch of underlings are being sacrificed right now. I suppose those responsible see this as a pawn sacrifice in their chess master scheming, but to me it looks like they’re passing around the idiot ball.

Also completely predictable was Trump’s response, it obviously mattered not a single bit what their excuse was, it was enough that there was one.

2 Likes

I think i hear sarcasm there, since journalists for one will certainly feel less relaxed now.

2 Likes

At some point, probably not soon but eventually, the “Prince” is going to run out of patriotic Saudis willing to take the rap for his crimes. If he were an Iranian mole, he could not have done any more to increase the influence of Iran vs Saudi Arabia in the Middle East.

2 Likes

But things are more ominous still. It seems Khashoggi’s writing was banned in Saudi Arabia not because he was critical of Mohammad bin Salman or the government. It was because, two days after the presidential election in 2016, Khashoggi mildly criticized — Donald Trump ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/world/middleeast/khashoggi-saudi-prince.html )

(https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/world/middleeast/khashoggi-saudi-prince.html).

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

4 Likes

If someone loses their head and fingers in a fist-fight, I’d hate to see it when they really rumble.

She does not substantiate that. The link associated with that claim goes to the NYT article about Khasoggi’s death which doesn’t make that assertion. I’m not even sure how she could substantiate that.

3 Likes

Several problems with their narrative of course.

If they are “investigating” and have full powers to “investigate”, then theyll find and recover the body. There will be an autopsy and we’ll know exactly how and in what manner he was tortured to death died. But, there’s no way MBS will allow this to happen. I doubt the family will ever be allowed to recover the body. (“Regrettably, it was cremated.”)

The people who did this will be interrogated and we’ll know exactly who’s responsible. And they’ll be punished. For following MBS’ orders? Wouldn’t this be the time for one or many of the hit squad to defect, to Turkey or to the US? They’re going to be very harshly punished for doing their job? How can MBS pay them off for their silence and punish them harshly?

3 Likes

When there were suicides at Guantanamo due to the horrible conditions there the commander described those as “an act of asymmetric warfare waged against us”.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5068606.stm

2 Likes

And now for a quick round of Scapegoat Bingo!

…and there is reason to believe that at least some of those were not actually suicides.

Thread:

4 Likes

I’m already starting to see tweets from Americans with ‘#maga’ in their Twitter bios claiming that Khashoggi “fought with bin Laden in Afghanistan”.

It’s depressing that we’ve reached the point where people’s cognitive dissonance drives them to tell malicious lies about a murder victim, just so that they can tell themselves that the Mango Mussolini is never in the wrong.

3 Likes

I’m frightened that we’ve reached this point again, ignoring all the hard earned lessons of the past.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.