Save the sea, eat a lionfish

Could be, I know someone did. Splendid word, surfeit. It’s a personal favourite of mine.

Well well … I did not expect to see Dungeness Crab mentioned before Livingston in this thread. I certainly agree that dungeness crab is the best :slight_smile:

BC halibut is also sweet-ish and can be nearly melt-in-your-mouth, especially when cooked perfectly.

Either you got a surfeit or you are bereft, without even a modicum.

1 Like

The thing is, trying to fish out an invasive species has to be done in a controlled manner.

Because if you allow the invasive species to be sold, you’ve just increased the value of that species- and the probability of some idiot introducing the invader to new territory to increase their catch.

I had lionfish & chips while I was diving in Roatan and it was hands down the most delicious fish I’ve ever tasted. I immediately ordered another helping. I’m not sure if lionfish will ever be available for purchase on a large scale though considering it has to be fished individually with a speargun and the spines have to be immediately clipped off to prevent getting stung. They cannot be fished with a net because of the danger of getting stung. Considering this, it may be cost-prohibitive to ship or fish them on any kind of large scale. Probably only upscale restaurants could afford to have them on their menu. They were fairly inexpensive in Roatan but that was because everyone was out spearfishing them. I don’t know the logistics of the fishing industry so it maybe possible. The fish n chips place said they had just placed their first shipment to the States when I was there so it’s possible I guess.

I always have a difficult time eating anything where I have seen its eyes, including fish.

Just think of Atlantic and Caribbean lionfish as robotic egg laying killing machines designed to kill all the other fish. They’re basically like the Terminator crossbred with rabbits. In the pacific they’re kept in check by other species that know how eat them. In the Caribbean about the only thing that might eat them is the grouper, which has been nearly hunted to death because they’re really slow moving and easy to spear.

How long does it take to cook the venom out, does she have recommendations?

None. The venom exists in the spines of Lionfish not in the main flesh of the fish.

1 Like

In March 2013 the FDA issued a draft advisory regarding ciguatera that expanded the list of potential species to include lionfish. This was followed up by a more in depth paper in the journal Marine Drugs that addresses this potential risk.

It should be noted that up to this point no one has actually gotten ciguatera from lionfish and I’m looking forward to spearing and eating lionfish on my upcoming dive trip to Honduras. They taste really great and I don’t feel at all bad about spearing them. Lionfish ceviche, filets, or even pizza all work quite well.

Although, a somewhat practical question: Does DAN insurance cover ciguatera while traveling?

1 Like

I couldn’t find anything that said it required eyeballs. But in general, it sounds delicious.

That’s brilliant!

I don’t think they’ve been a delicacy in England in about 700 years.

Depends on which species of flounder or sole. Some, like the Starry flounder, have a strong iodine taste, others a strong fishy taste, one tastes of lemons (the ‘lemon sole’). There are literally dozens of species sold as ‘flounder’ or ‘sole’ in the store. Ditto ‘rock cod’ or ‘red snapper’, which tends to be one of about 30 very differently flavoured and textured species of fish.

Sweet for savoury foods = lots of free glutamic acid for the umami-sensing tastebuds to capture. So a good “meaty” “protein!!nutrients!!1!rarr!r” tasting fish.

Also, some fish acquire a “dirt” taste, maybe from a diet where soil bacteria is dominant and not metabolized somewhere down the food chain? Ah! After search, Geosmin and 2-Methylisoborneol from actinomycetes and some algae.

Dang, I’ve gotta ask the local fishmongers if they can source me some lionfish.

1 Like

The tastiest Florida fish is the Hog Snapper, which is actually the largest wrasse IIRC. It lives on the deep grass flats and shelters in flat layers of reef rock it goes head down in the sand and filter feeds on crustaceans. it tastes like its stuffed with lobster.

This guy is using a spear gun but I never used anything but a pole spear for hog fish.

Indeed it’s my favorite IPA now. And SD is kind of the town for IPAs, with probably a good half-dozen brewed here.

Fun fact – ciguatera toxin isn’t actually made by the fish – it is made by microbes (protists) that the fish eat (or more likely with carnivores like lionfish and barracuda, by eating fish that ate the protists).

1 Like

as I said, this english eel is different from a lamprey.

A similar solution is being talked about regarding Asian Carp in the great lakes. Only difference is these guys will jump into your boat or into your face :stuck_out_tongue: And there filled with lots of bones so much harder to market.

oh, lord, there’s 3 times that many being made here now. we are beer central, it’s awesome. :slight_smile:
great thing also is that a bunch of them are starting to can their beer, which is really cool.
there’s a nice variety overall with a staggering number of people making outstanding beer city and county-wide.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.