Say good morning to Do Bee!

Romper Room was still on in the 1980s? Whoa.

6 Likes

Indeed. It was educational for kids, with a generous dash of:

For the parents.

My God do I ever miss those days.

7 Likes

Like Chgoliz said . . . Romper Room lasted until the 80s?

The show was franchized, so perhaps this was a quaint holdover that survived long after its kindred in NYC (whose version I watched) had long since died.

5 Likes

wow. I know Romper Room was a big part of my childhood, and yet none of these clips evoke any kind of familiarity. I remember my parents joking about “don’t be a don’t bee”, but the show itself seems to have been entirely scrubbed from my recollection. The mirror seems vaguely familiar.

The Pinball Number Song (mentioned earlier) is on vinyl, courtesy of Strictly Kev / DJ food

1 Like

Apparently it was on until 1989 in L.A.:
http://latinola.com/story.php?story=9266
I remember Ms. Soco, though I was still watching at age 6. I had younger sisters who watched but I, um, remember liking Ms. Soco.

1 Like

i was on romper room, and she only said my name when i was on. i watched and watched in the weeks afterward, but she never said it again. that was the most important lesson i learned from romper room

6 Likes

Same here.
However, I do recall these (I don’t even recall if I ever had a pair – know that my friend did)

5 Likes

Beware of the penguin

1 Like

9 Likes

This is actually old technology. Nowadays they use a microwave.

13 Likes

I was on Romper Room, and I remember waiting for the magic mirror thing, to see how they did it.
On one hand, a huge disappointment; on the other hand, helped instill a love of special effects that ended up shaping much of my adult life.

4 Likes

Speaking of which… so, one of my early memories of a kid’s show included a machine that could compress people down into a flat disc (roughly an inch thick?) and later decompress them back into people. That idea of someone being squashed into a flat disc and passed around in that form haunted my dreams.

To this day I have no idea what show that was. Not precisely the right thread for it, but if anyone has any ideas…

1 Like

Um…

4 Likes

Romper Room was an international phenomenon. https://chawedrosin.wordpress.com/2007/04/18/finnish-romper-room/

2 Likes

Man, the formula never changed! Miss Flora did the same Magic Mirror schtick in the Windsor/Detroit market when I was a kid in the early sixties…

Please, no autographs…

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.