Surreal face morph animation from a 1973 episode of Sesame Street

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/30/surreal-face-morph-animation-f.html

5 Likes

From the related videos, an equally strange one, with more narrative:

19 Likes

I don’t remember that one.

3 Likes

I was sure at some point I saw a Sesame Street or Muppet Show piece where some guy was talking about a wig, and an observer asked if he used shampoo on it, and he replied, “No, I use real poo.” Then I gaslighted myself into thinking that couldn’t possibly have been real. And then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyseyrw75E

8 Likes

Sesame Street had a LOT of totally great, wackjob psychedelic animations, back in the day. Even from Grace Slick!

This one is really popular, and is my fave as well (from The Pointer Sisters):

16 Likes

The classic trilogy right here. I’m partial to part II @0:56

8 Likes

This one remains vivid to me. My toddler-mind conflated it with the island in the man-made pond in front of the apartment complex my dad lived in.

I watch* a lot of Sesame Street these days and it’s probably better content, but I miss the groovy, weird stuff from its earlier days.

*doze hungover through on weekend mornings when the littlest one wakes at dawn.

5 Likes

Such great stuff!

10 Likes

The first vid was always my favorite. A very sophisticated rhythm, kid’s show or not.

1 Like
7 Likes

On regular rotation in the Dreamboat Jukebox.

6 Likes

Groovy.

I’ve seen those countless times, and never realized. Of course, at the time I was watching them, I wouldn’t have known who she was, so…

2 Likes

Maybe one of you can help me. I’ve been searching for a Sesame Street clip for a long time now.

It’s live action, it takes place in a park. There are these mimes/acrobats/body artists who create a creature/being/entity by combining their bodies/climbing on one another/etc. One creature watches as a second creature (again, a combination of actors) goes by, and happens into an obstacle. Somehow the obstacle is resolved/overcome.

There’s no words, just background music or maybe sound effects.

Someone suggested it might be Pilobolus, but I can’t find anything in their history about it. This would have been early/mid 1970s-ish.

Anybody?

One of my favorites from this period in Sesame Street history is Geometry of Circles, music by Philip Glass, conceived and animated by Cathryn Aison.

Source: YouTube clip, posted by user DanielHouse from Sesame Street episode 1392, c1980 (or 1979).

10 Likes

Yeah, that IS good.

2 Likes

Those guys must have had a blast, dream job…

Etienne Delessert was also responsible for the mind-blowing kid’s large-format book that 1973 CTW put out, of Kermits ‘Being Green’ song. I was utterly entranced by all the monsters and beasts as a wee tot. I still have this book, even though it’s mostly in tatters. I’m not able to include the flckr link to his work, but i heartily recommend checking it out!

1 Like

Between Sesame Street and the Canadian Film Board, my childhood was inundated with all these interesting animation experiments!

4 Likes

I didn’t see Sesame Street as a kid (I don’t think it was shown over here), but this is exactly the sort of thing that children’s TV of the time would show and that would deeply freak me out.

1 Like

Are you thinking of Mummenschanz?

3 Likes