It was the Pointer Sisters that sang Sesame Street's funky pinball counting song!

Originally published at: It was the Pointer Sisters that sang Sesame Street's funky pinball counting song! | Boing Boing

12 Likes

That’s awesome.
My wife and I were just discussing this animation. We were at a minor league baseball game where the Harrisburg Senators were playing. The printing of their numbers was reminiscent of the pinball animation.

6 Likes

Two

oh hooow

oh wooh

Oh yeah!

4 Likes

My old friend Derrik aka DJ DTM did a kickass Drum and Bass remix of this…

2 Likes

I liked this as little a kid since my birthday is on the 12th. It came back into my life with my kids and is still a favorite tune that crosses my mind with some regularity. I found out it was the Pointer Sisters a few years back, and am really glad to read some more about the production of this wonderful animation. Thanks for posting!

4 Likes

As a brit of a certain age (living in a particular TV region!) this is one of my strongest USA-ian touchstones. Sesame Street was such a huge thing in my childhood - It had muppets, was way longer than other kids shows, I learnt some Spanish (Our Cowboys were always hunting for agua!) and it was and is huge fun.

But the Pinball Counting sequence is something that still brings a huge smile to my face even many years down the line.

10 Likes

Yeah, how ARE you just now finding this out?

I love this bit as a kid, and I have had that song stuck in my head randomly past the last month for some reason.

3 Likes

Fabulous slice of awesomeness.

2 Likes

I can’t count without this song immediately coming to mind and playing back in my head it in that cadence.

2 Likes

This is absolutely how I count to twelve. And I, too, had no idea it was the Pointer Sisters.

4 Likes

On the same general subject… can you ID the group doing this movie theme song?

3 Likes

This got included in a Ninja Tune remix album in the 90’s - along with the video (CD ROM technology! - video on your music disc!) I probably still have it in a trunk somewhere in my home.

2 Likes

Is… is that the Surpremes?!

3 Likes

‘Count’ me among those who knew it was the Pointer Sisters.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Not only did I grow up with this, but I used the Pinball Countdown to teach my own kid to count when she was two or three…

7 Likes

Well now I want to know just how bananas that movie was.

1 Like

I remember hearing Janelle Monáe’s Many Moons for the first time and perking up at her interpolation of this song.

2 Likes

It’s Vincent Price and a bunch of Beach Party actors making a 60’s spy spoof about honeypotting female robots. So, yeah, very campy and silly. But it’s still a fun little flick if you like that sort of thing. I’d say its major flaw is that it ends with a painfully rear-projected chase scene around San Francisco that goes on way too long.

3 Likes

Love the 11 and 12 part of the song

1 Like

You know, I’m not the only one who didn’t know. So that’s why I shared it even if it meant facing shame!!

3 Likes

Ok, that’s fun.