Scary big cat spotted in UK public park turned out to be a plushie

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/29/scary-big-cat-spotted-in-uk-pu.html

8 Likes

It does look pretty real except for its stance over the park bench.

9 Likes

They say it isn’t dangerous, but the plush rabbit population in that park has all but vanished.

19 Likes

Is CSI not broadcast over there?..

11 Likes

Looks like they found the predator responsible for this tragedy:

10 Likes

(Looking up “plushie”)
“Oh, it’s a stuffed animal!” -GenX

5 Likes

If this had happened in the US, that park would be covered with spent shells and stuffing.

8 Likes

The cops should have been wise to this well ahead of the “10 - 63” or whatever was called in: “Life in Steyning” is the sine qua non of contradictions in terms.

1 Like

You’re right. An apex predator would never be caught humping a park bench slot. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

But it IS a scary bench humping big cat plushie.

Naw, it wasn’t Black, it was grey. US cops would have just given it a ride home

3 Likes

“A tiger in England?”

Yeah, we all know in England they’re called “Tiggers.”

3 Likes

At least it wasn’t a jagular.

2 Likes

Really…?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/weird/man-gets-penis-stuck-in-park-bench/news-story/b066a5799d32ff952bc2b74e0017e67b?nk=73d96b7a028a29e4da1140b97e82869c-1596059171

Also, does England even have any native large predatory cats? Why are there always so many stories of sightings of large cats from England?

2 Likes

Escaped big cat pets, maybe? Lions, tigers and leopards kept as pets | UK news | The Guardian

Also, re the bench guy, I got to this point ("Rescuers eventually cut away part of the… ) and winced… then recovered after reading the rest of the statement. Phew!

1 Like

Or Miao xing ren?

2 Likes

Scotland has a small, native wildcat, but it’s like a large house cat size.

3 Likes

The dog was innocent!

1 Like

If I remember my urban legend lore correctly, it’s mostly about escaped exotic animals from circuses, zoos or rich assholes with “private zoos” or “exotic pets” (animal trafficking is very real but hiding large cats is harder, ask Tiger King) BUT the hearsay dwarves reality exponentially so that one time something happened 50 years ago gets replicated as last week the cousin of the girlfriend of the neighbor saw something.

2 Likes