School police officers busted for selling banned soda to students

For me, the story isn’t that there was a black market source of soda supplied to kids at a school where soda has been banned. Obviously, there’s going to be; especially for a substance that is legal and allowed anywhere outside of school grounds.

It’s that it was the freaking POLICE running the black market. Officers, assigned to the school to uphold the law as well as enforce school rules,. Or at least if not enforce them, surely not break them by setting up a Johnny Law’s Soda Shoppe to squeeze a profit out of the student body.

3 Likes

True, but schools never would have had to ban soft drinks if the districts didn’t make sweetheart deals with poison merchants in the first place. I doubt they’ve banned kids from bringing soda from home, just the profiteering aspect.

4 Likes

Umm…

For more than a decade, Connecticut public schools have banned the sale of sodas to students as part of a health initiative.

Officers Kim DeMayo and Doug Bauman were caught running a side hustle selling sodas to students right from their office inside West Haven High School

Did you read beyond the headline?

ETA: I mean, no, they aren’t tasing kids in the hall, or engaging in body cavity searches, but what they were doing isn’t just “meh”.

2 Likes

Again, this must be the dumbest timeline.

SMH

12 Likes

I did. Did you fully read my reply?

1 Like

No different than prison.

Sounds like a classic case of free-market capitalism repression to me.

Exactly! I mean, it’s basically like a couple of kids setting up a lemonade stand in the driveway, isn’t it.

1 Like

There’s no black market so small or vice so petty that a cop won’t break the law to sell to it.

1 Like

You mean, this whole reply?

[1] Yes, it’s minor, but it’s a foot in the door, and still a sign of corruption. The banks are safe, but the rules are still being broken by people in positions of authority.

[2] This isn’t one of those places. All places =/= all other places. This place has rules that have been in place for 10 years – right or wrong – prohibiting soda from school grounds. If it were kids that had set up their own black market soda enterprise, my opinion would be different.

[3] Did you pull this supposition straight out of the ether? So, the school prohibition to soda doesn’t extend to the cops’ office, and the cops are fine with kids popping by and helping themselves to a snack? Except for the whole “running a side hustle selling sodas to students” thing, I guess.

[4] Obviously. Apart from taking the time to comment about something that doesn’t even begin to register with you.

It’s great that you are cool with this, I suppose. More important things, etc.

As a parent, if this happened at my kid’s school, I would want to know if it extended beyond soda. Police officers have access to far more than just soda, especially if they are already prone to being corrupt/breaking rules. They don’t usually don’t stop with penny-ante crap.

Or does this fall under, “don’t sweat the small stuff?”

4 Likes

Let’s all please remember suspected side hustler and existential threat to big tobacco: Eric Garner.

1 Like

I wonder what would’ve happened if it was a student that was running the “black market” soda scheme. What if it was teachers? Custodians? Cafeteria workers? Seems like something that gym teachers would do :wink:

1 Like

It probably wouldn’t have made the news, unless it was a grand scale type of thing; students would have been suspended/expelled and staff would have likely been fired, since they too are people in a position of authority.

But, then again, these days, who knows?

1 Like

While this song was pretty controversial at the time (ya know, damn, god all that) few people realize that it was written by Hoyt Axton (yes, that ‘Joy To The World’ guy).

3 Likes

Nor did I. Not surprised- the guys who wrote Helter Skelter wrote Mr. Moonlight. The guys who wrote Rough Boys wrote My Wife.

Cushy, but boring AF. I have a sneaking suspicion that they reason that they HAD this job in the first place is that they were screwups that the police chief didn’t want out doing real policing.

2 Likes

Personally I look askance at grown adults who want to be friends with teenagers.

2 Likes

Mr Moonlight was written by Roy Lee Johnson, The Beatles only covered it.

However, the guy who wrote Helter Skelter also wrote this.

1 Like

THIS. As a coach for ten years of boys and girls. While I want them to have fun playing soccer and all and I always do my best to make it so. I’m not there to be pals. I’m there to teach them.

1 Like

I sure they charged the proper amount of taxes, and reported the extra income to the appropriate state and federal authorities.

3 Likes