School shooting: Two dead in UCLA campus murder-suicide

It’d be about a 10% increase in the number of people in Canada.

It’s just good natured ribbing from someone who claims partial heritage there!

2 Likes

I figured; it’s just close enough that I can see someone actually making that mistake in the math.

2 Likes

That’s just what we tell others to keep outsiders away.

8 Likes

Nope, I’ve experienced it for myself firsthand.

Too cold for Melz.

Additionally, people there seem oddly proud of being perpetually soggy because many locals don’t even bother with umbrellas.

O_o

3 Likes

On reflection, I guess that school/campus shootings actually make up a tiny proportion of American gun deaths, and I shouldn’t get such a strong knee-jerk reaction when a new one in reported. Without 30,000+ firearms deaths per year, we would need to rely on vehicular deaths to keep America’s population in check.

If we bring back familly farming, some of us could fall into wheat combines.

4 Likes

And yet the number of glass-shard clubs and pointy-stick associations remains surprisingly low.

5 Likes

Only one replicator? Poor you. No wonder you can’t replicate your stolen replicator.

“Some day every city will have a telephone!” – Quoth some mayor?

2 Likes

Well, to begin with- here is an interesting site with homemade guns being seized internationally.-

2 Likes

“Just for basis of comparison”- Madison county, NC. Just because it is a place familiar to me. Lots of families in deep Appalachian poverty. No jobs, often no running water. Meth problems these days. Armed to the teeth. Yet 47% less violent crime than the state average.

3 Likes

Well, it is bad manners to shoot yer relatives,

2 Likes

I’ve heard that when Arthur C. Clarke was asked why he moved to Sri Lanka he said, “Forty English winters.” Even if he really did say that I suspect there were other reasons, including the fact that it’s just fun to say “Sri Lanka”, although it was Ceylon when he went.

That’s the most intelligent thing I can contribute to the discussion so I’ll now bow out and let the grownups resume.

2 Likes

Ah, well, I moved from the east coast, it rains sporadically but with none of the drenching downpour I’d get back at home. I have indeed drank deeply of the PNW Flavor-Aid.

5 Likes

Because it works like the english rain, you get a tan from standing in it.

8 Likes

It’s excellent for skin hydration. And roses. What more incentive do you need? :wink:

7 Likes

3 Likes

Ah, I thought you were saying that there were other COUNTRIES with high poverty and private handgun ownership rate on par with the U.S. that nonetheless had low levels of gun crime.

Obviously some parts of the U.S. will have lower crime rates than others, especially places with low population density. Anyway, are Appalachian folk even known for owning the kind of guns commonly used in crimes? My admittedly ignorant impression is that they mostly have hunting rifles and the like.

2 Likes

I moved here from England. I think Seattle is both warm and dry.

5 Likes

As longs as it tastes good…

*lolz

Is that right?

Have I mentioned how much I hate being soggy? And wet socks are the WORST.

But roses are nice, though.

:slight_smile:

By comparison, I’d guess so!

:sunglasses: