Science Babe goes after Dr. Mercola, Food Babe, Dr. Oz, et al

Or a Master’s Degree… in Science!

2 Likes

Good looking out. Now I can’t not see that :smile:

Actually, she was casting aspersions on the idea that pilots control the air in the plane and put the best air up the front, that airplanes are pumped full of nitrogen, and that passengers are sprayed with pesticides.

The fact that she was wrong about the last one because it is, in fact, done in a small number of countries doesn’t invalidate her criticism, because for anybody unfamiliar with the practice within its context of a paranoid article about deadly nitrogen levels and pilots hogging the good air it’s prima facie a contrails-level delusion.

A broken clock can be right twice a day, but a working clock still needs correcting for daylight savings.

6 Likes

Frankly, unless she’s operating under a pseudonym, I call BS on her “working as a professor”. It’s currently essentially unheard of acquiring a professorship in the sciences without any significant publications, and I’ve yet to see any professorship position that does not require a PhD.

I agree that the nitrogen/pesticide conflation by Food Babe is quite farcical. What I’m pointing out is that Science Babe needs to be dead sure about her arguments before publishing them. Any weaknesses, and the loonies will exploit them.

1 Like

You didn’t look at the provided link at all, did you? You’re confusing a specific title with a more general term for a position.

2 Likes

The entire foundation of the scientific method is not being sure. :wink:

Loons - basically by definition - will dismiss your arguments regardless of any mistakes you make. It is merely down to what they use to reinforce the things they already believe. Even if you spend hours researching every aspect of their statements to disprove them, as disproving something is very labour-intensive compared to proving something, to craft the perfect argument they will dismiss it based on something like your tone, or your profession, or your personal life. It is a huge waste of time to bullet-proof arguments against loons as they use aetheric beams.

1 Like

I can easily see someone without a doctorate or publications working as a lecturer - in fact, I have know some. They get stuck in the lowest ranking with no hope of promotion until they do get a doctorate, but they nonetheless work as lecturers. You may be getting caught up in U.S. terminology which calls all teachers in tertiary education “professors”, unlike most of the world which reserves “Professor” for the highest rank of academia.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.