Scientific American on why folks hate the GoT finale

I didn’t say any of that. Please don’t put words in my mouth. Thanks awfully.

I disagree entirely. I think when people say “can’t it just be… bad?” and then insist that it’s definitely bad because that’s the public opinion, I’m allowed to mention that that’s not exactly objectively true. I’d appreciate not being politely told to shut up, by you or anyone else.

1 Like

I didn’t do that. I just pointed out that my opinion aligned with the general consensus. So, please don’t put words in my mouth.

I really don’t know what you expect when you feel the need to point out that an opinion is an opinion with no other content. Especially when the comment isn’t a response to one of your own. It is just out of line…are you going to post a comment to all current movie reviews reminding the reviewer that the review is just an opinion?

Don’t let your dreams be dreams…

this person states it really well ( via the mary sue ):

^ spoilers mind you.

4 Likes

I know exactly which piece this is, and agree: definitely worth reading!

3 Likes

Was just about to say pretty much the same thing. I wouldn’t have had too much issue with the final episodes if they actually had an extra season or two of development that was needed to get to that ending.

When the showrunners announced they were going to do two final short seasons the general consensus was, “Huh. Seems like a lot to tie up in 13 episodes, but these guys have done right by us so far!”

It was hilarious that Disney casually announced the release date for Weiss and Benioff’s Star Wars film in the midst of all this as they realized “From the creators of Game of Thrones” was no longer a valid selling point.
I really hope it ends up being worth abandoning Game of Thrones over.

1 Like

Damn

Men don’t fear “female power,” in the abstract. They fear being treated like women; they’re afraid that, when we win, they die. That when get the power, we’ll do the shoving, and it will hurt.

I think it’s true for some though, in the same way that Trumpists are fearful of minorities becoming a majority in the U.S…

4 Likes

The boiled down version: GRRM is an awesome writer and the folks that GoT was turned over to aren’t.

1 Like

Hate on them all you want, but at least they finished the thing*. Martin is in no rush to do so and probably never will. It’s been 8 years since the last book came out. It was 6 between the previous and 5 before that.

*it may have been rushed and poorly plotted, but to think the books are going to end any differently shows someone who hasn’t been paying attention.

2 Likes

Is anyone taking odds on whether he’ll die before the last book is finished? I would hate for the ending to never be seen in his intended form. I strongly doubt the books will end in the same way as the TV show - maybe the broad strokes will be the same, minus whatever changes were made for production reasons, but the devil is in the details and GRRM has always been able to apply those in spades while the TV show simply doesn’t have time for them. Of course, we won’t know if they don’t get published. We could work out the geometric progression of the writing time per book and work out how many we’re likely to get based on GRRM’s current age and the projected lifespan of someone that overweight minus however long got wasted on that prequel book that came out however many months ago, but I fear the final calcuation would be somewhat on the depressing side.

EDIT: Epic Rap Battles of History did GRRM vs JRRT. It was awesome, although Tolkein missed the opportunity to point out he finished his trilogy while GRRM’s seems to be growing in proportion to his waistline.

2 Likes

Oh for sure, the major beats will be the same. While Martin is great at the details, I feel that is his downfall. He has made too many details and will never get around to them all.

Remember, A Song of Fire and Ice was originally just supposed to be a trilogy.

In visual form:

lioztlv5wfwcrdjgacov

9 Likes

that part reminds me of the way 45 calls everything fake news. all the things he says are spin or lies, so everyone else must be doing the same thing too.

but the part that really got me the is “moral” that

it would have been better for the world for dany to stay a victim of men.

it’s a pretty gut wrenching perspective

4 Likes

just. don’t.

the man is amazingly talented and has basically offered up the whole of his time to add to our enjoyment of the world.

body shaming him - or anyone - is plain not cool

4 Likes

Responding to your spoiler:

Your take is good, and could make for good pacing. If anything, there were so many chances to subvert expectations that were tossed away. What if Jon was able to strike down the Night King as he was starting to raise the freshly slain? What if the ring around Bran was never tested, and Theon lived only to die at Kings Landing? The whole cliché’d “saving at the last second” not being used?

Heck, let’s spin it out even further? Let’s let Arya sneak into the palace, kill Cersei not for revenge so much as to prevent a bloodbath, and it still happens. Let’s not have a Cleganebowl at all, the Mountain simply being crushed when the Red Keep is attacked, and Sandor only finds his brother’s body? Let’s have the Unsullied and the Dothraki actually be reduced to a handful after the Battle of Winterfell and the destruction of King’s Landing, subverting the Reifenstahl moment?

I am sure every one of us has their Armchair Showrunner ideas, these were just mine.

3 Likes

I am confused. Y’all were digging the whole Neo-Jacobeanism, until things got all Neo-Jacobean…

But that’s exactly what the article is saying, but it’s explaining how actions “made sense” previously, given the structure of the story that focused on actions motivated by character’s places in society, rather than simply being the “protagonist” who carries their own arc forward. When one story form shifted to the other, the actions no longer made sense, because it became a bunch of little character arcs to finish off (quickly), rather than a society arc to finish off.

When everyone survived the War of Winterfell, it was because those characters, specifically, were needed in the remaining episodes. Yet when Ned Stark was killed off in the beginning, House Stark and the Northern motivations continued, and when Rob, The King in the North was killed, we got another King in the North, and then a Queen in the North, because the North as a whole would move on. (That’s the kind of thing the article was talking about when saying it might not matter if Hitler had never been born.) Rob and Jon and Sansa’s actions worked when they were motivated by the greater society around them, and the audience understood that.

So what, does it not make sense to study why a writing style feels like bullshit?

The average reader might be able to tell that (say) Dan Brown’s books are poorly written, and to explain it they may say that “the dialogue sounds off” or “the pacing’s off,” but what does that mean, exactly? The reader can know some writing is bad, and have a vague sense of why, but another writer trying not to fall into the same mistakes would be wise to gain a deeper understanding of why, exactly, a piece of writing is “bad.” This is why we have writing classes, after all.

7 Likes

If there is a class on “what is good and bad writing” and this topic of the last couple seasons of GoT came up…perfectly fine. I never said or suggested otherwise.

But the common fucks like myself that really don’t give a shit and are just paying the $10 a month to watch a show they found entertaining don’t need nor I would argue desire a treatise on why it was bad.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but most people when it comes to TV and Movies really just want to enjoy it and not have to learn anything. Because you know…it’s entertainment.

I get what you’re saying, I just don’t buy it. I responded to a similar take upthread: Scientific American on why folks hate the GoT finale

But this conversation isn’t on your $10/month TV. It’s on a free-to-you website. You’ve chosen to come to this forum and read this specific thread, entitled “Scientific American on why folks hate the GoT finale”. You can’t really complain that what people are talking about is what the article says and what it means.

7 Likes

Ohh… your problem was that this article and discussion was forced upon you.

My bad, I didn’t realize that was your problem.

5 Likes