Scientists, and their moral duty to resist trumpism

There’s an awful lot of Disney park experience on this webpage for people who never take vacations.

My dad took the family to Disneyland in 1967. The year after he burned the mortgage.

1 Like

It’s not whether you are in favor of that crap or not. It’s about the way the monetary system presently works and who it favors. And that it doesn’t have to favor the pigs. Money creation by government fiat has always happened, is happening, and will always happen. Even under the gold standard era “greenbacks” or U.S. notes were issued cost free by the U.S. government. There is, not now, nor has there ever been a shortage of money to meet our obligations, even social security obligations, and there will never be a constraint as long as the dollar is seen as a reasonable global currency that is at best only mildly inflationary. Your prescription for generational austerity due to lack of seed corn is a complete misunderstanding of what our “seed corn” actually is. If you think it means the amount of money in the system, then its real ZERO cost should make you rethink your position. If you think the seed corn is the national economy and infrastructure, then all of that can be affordably rebuilt and enhanced if only we can change the national priorities of who gets to benefit from currency issuance.

Some new form of Glass-Steagall is needed, if only as a restraint on the constant subsidy need/desire of failed financial institutions. A major problem, as you noted is TBTF, because their costs outway any benefit they could possibly add to an economy. Their past criminal acts and even present criminal acts don’t actually restrain the U.S. sovereign government’s ability to meet its social security obligations however. And they certainly aren’t cause for the working classes to have to suffer for their crimes for the next thirty years. As long as the currency isn’t horribly abused (we are not doing a good job on this), we can afford to meet our obligations.

We just have to clean up the shit-storm. It’s happened before. The responses to the great depression and then WWII weren’t paid for by billions laying around unused. It was wished into existence by the Federal Reserve and the U.S. Treasury, and for the most part, logically spent into programs that were most needed and gave the biggest bang for the buck. None of the programs included bailing out hyper-rich douchebags.

13 Likes

Spot on, sir. Like that “vacation” I had to take for maternity leave for two kids. Had to save up “vacation” days to stay at home with my babies. Good times, good times.

ETA: Or “Spot on, ma’am”? I’m trying to do better with assuming gender.

16 Likes

Obviously the problem is poor people have too much money and rich people don’t have enough.

Austerity for everybody!

14 Likes

Noted, but I thought we were talking about vacations.

Meant mostly in jest. Went to Disneyland as a kid, loved it.

3 Likes

Between sanders wanting to “break up the banks” that are " too big to fail " & cruz wanting to " end the fed " which option if not both would allow for an economic system that would most benefit the people

Personally i am all for breaking up the banks into competitive sectors & converting them into credit unions where it isn’t that competitive
But
With the fed, banking systems tend to have panics without a central bank, but I’d rather not have a fiat currency either

1 Like

People who aren’t comfortable with fiat money can keep their savings in a silver fund instead.

It seems like a strange thing to get worked up about when opting out is so simple.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m on my way there actually, i asked my Econ professor what he thought about the metals and he said they’re too unpredictable tho :confused: but I’m still willing to invest in that direction

2 Likes

Nah, it’s cool. I came out as male in my early twenties. Had a lot of practice before then (including being born male) but it took a few years to plow through the enormous amount of gender role bullshit foisted on males by society.

10 Likes

If we go back on the gold standard we can have that unpredictability in the ECONOMY :slight_smile:

6 Likes

But wasn’t that tied to a set amount $1 = [per Gold amount] ? It was when both gold & silver started circulating at the same time that legislation had to be written every time the values for one changed, but it sounds like it’ll just go back to banking panics, especially with this electorate :unamused::unamused::unamused:

1 Like

Yeah, something like that. The thing is, with fiat money the central bank can precisely adjust the “supply of money.” That’s the whole point.

The price of gold (in fiat dollars) is unpredictable because of supply and demand. A central bank can’t magically create or destroy gold, so when we’re on a gold standard the supply of money is also unpredictable.

In the 19th century there were huge booms and busts all the time, and authorities threw up their hands because it was literally not their job to do anything about it. Going back on the gold standard means going back to that.

6 Likes

But who is responsible for when it bust, if the banks were loaning out other people’s money & mortgages were defaulted on, how did it create the chain reaction that economies around the world where negatively impacted, it seems likely that the banks had the means to stay afloat regardless of the money lost on the mortgages

Especially since the banks have a general idea on the likelyhood of the fed increasing/decreasing interest rates which increases/decreases the value of the dollar

Georgia Guide Stones ?:sweat_smile:[quote=“Indubitably, post:35, topic:94350”]
If we fuck up our home, where will we live?

We won’t. Some will. The richies.
[/quote]

1 Like

I don’t know if you mean the slabs because they’re granite or the town in Colorado actually called basalt :] but you got to admit that 1st out of ten is pretty extreme with the current trend of growth

I’m on the theory that it’ll peak, and then come back down

1 Like

All currencies are fiat currencies, it’s just that for some there is no central control of the “value” per unit.

5 Likes

Well i mean in the sense that the currency is representative of the value of a commodity, rather than a currency that gets its value soley from a mathematical equation

1 Like

The dollar and other centrally controlled currencies don’t get their value from a mathematical equation. They get their value from lots of people agreeing what the value is. Gold and other possible bases of “non-fiat” currency get their value from the exact same thing, just via a less controlled process.

7 Likes

There’s a lot of people that don’t know what even gives the US dollar its value =/ some still think its gold

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inquisitr.com/1317772/what-gives-the-u-s-dollar-its-value-it-is-surprising-what-it-is-and-youre-not-going-to-like-it-video/amp/?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

The mathematical equation i am referring to is when the fed gathers the data for previous Inflation Rates (the basket), international trends, and unemployment rate (from the video)

1 Like

During the last eight years we have pumped trillions in “created” money into the system via deficits on the fiscal side and ZIRP on the monetary side. I think that you would agree that the benefit of this went almost exclusively to Wall Street and its overseas counterparts.

And that’s why I could not vote for Clinton any more than for Trump, since every indication I saw was that she would do more of the same.

1 Like