Scientists begin investigating possible health impacts of e-cigarettes

It compares more than just obesity.

1 Like

ā€œPS: In many cases the ā€˜ew, stinkolaā€™ face is the face passive aggressive cowards make to tell you they donā€™t like what youā€™re doing, even in cases where itā€™s none of their fucking business.ā€

The situation I was referring to was a large muscular man puffing a cloud into the face of a 8 year old girl. Was she being passive aggressive? I think not.

ā€œUse words like a grown up and people will often do what you ask them.ā€

Really? Where is this peaceful utopia of which you speak? I live in America, a place where people very often do things they know they shouldnā€™t really be doingā€¦but when called on it, more often than not, take umbrage and get defensive and angry.

ā€œSpit/Rain is not comparable to Vapour/Exhalationā€¦ā€

Know any close talkers? Itā€™s damn near the sameā€¦

1 Like

E-cigarette or not, the guy was clearly an asshole.

Where is this peaceful utopia of which you speak?

I wouldnā€™t call it a utopia in most ways, though life is pretty good here: Australia. I purposefully trolley passive aggressive people in meatspace. Itā€™s fun and we donā€™t have so many guns so Iā€™m not at risk of being shot.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t even know Mountain Dew HAD caffeine elsewhere in the world, until I moved to San Francisco for a few months in 2000. Oh, the glorious, caffeinated Mountain Dew, how I missed it so when I moved back to Canada! I was pretty thrilled when they brought it to Canada, finally, though Iā€™ve mostly weaned myself off pop in general these days, sadly.

Also, I had no idea that we could get codeine OTC here. Neat.

You need to ask the pharmacist for it, same with Sudafed these days. And be warned, they give you serious side eye when you ask for it, so donā€™t act sketchy! LOL
But yeah, they totally have OTC codeine, formulated with aspirin, or with acetaminophen and I think with ibuprofen. All the flavours!

Gotcha! :wink:

Or perhaps just donā€™t want to have to breathe it.

Arguments such as ā€œBut itā€™s vapor, not smoke!ā€ and ā€œBut it only has nicotine, not all the other stuff!ā€ may be true in so far as they go, but neither gives anybody the right to put those not-quite-as-bad things into air that I am about to pull into my lungs.

Yeah. Nicotine is bad pollution. Not good pollution, like petrocarbons and radioisotopes.

well, iā€™ve seen many, many more arguments for banning them completely, than for just banning their use in public. theyā€™re separate issues, and iā€™m not really against a ban on public use.

on the one hand, as iā€™ve computed it, the second-hand effects are quite negligible, especially compared to, say, smelling a steak being charred (seriously), which happens all the time at restaurants and no one seems to care except some vegetarians. never mind walking down a sidewalk by a busy road. internal combustion engines are way worse than e-cigs, but i guess thatā€™s different.

on the other hand, i wouldnā€™t be opposed to a ban on public indoor e-cig smoking anyway, mostly because blowing vapor around is an asshole thing to do, whether itā€™s medically dangerous or not.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never encountered an e-cig smoker/vaper/whatever in person, so I have no experience with this - is there a noticeable smell in the second hand vapour exchaled from e-cigarettes? If so, yes, I would happily support a ban on this - the same way I would support a ban on people who wear too much perfume/cologne in public. Itā€™s just rude.

personally, i donā€™t notice a smell. with the more heavily flavored ones you might smell a bit, but it would be similar in intensity to someone eating skittles or mints next to you. they are usually flavored with the same artificial flavors.

at any rate, itā€™s much, much weaker than even small amounts of perfume or cologne.

1 Like

One of the only things that bothers me about e-cigarettes is that the fluid is quite toxic. I once spilled some in a grocery store and realized that an infant might, however unlikely it may be, get it on their hands/mouth and get sick or even die. I immediately cleaned it up with a napkin. Nicotine strength is also sometimes misestimated.

Be careful, yā€™all, especially if you mix your own, for your own sake and othersā€™, and to keep it from being over-regulated.

Royal College of Physicians : Support Ecigarettes

ā€œDespite the controversies, it is clear that e-cigarettes are far less hazardous than is tobacco. With more than a million UK smokers using them to help to cut down or quit smoking, they are proving to be valuable harm reduction and cessation products and could make a substantial contribution to reducing the burden of death, disability and poverty currently caused by tobacco smoking. Health professionals should embrace this potential by encouraging smokers, particularly those disinclined to use licensed nicotine replacement therapies, to try them, and, when possible, to do so in conjunction with existing NHS smoking cessation and harm reduction support. E-cigarettes will save lives, and we should support their use.ā€

3 Likes

Not really. Terminology often sticks around long after it is applicable and does not indicate a bias. You still ā€œdialā€ a phone number and ā€œhang upā€ when you are done. You ā€œtune inā€ to a TV show and ā€œturn the channelā€, announcers will say ā€œDonā€™t touch that dialā€, even YouTube is named ā€œTubeā€. You send an e"mail". You still ā€œrecordā€ or ā€œtapeā€ a show. You ā€œroll upā€ a car window and the motor has X ā€œhorsepowerā€, in electric cars people still ā€œstep on the gasā€. You ā€œcut, copy, and pasteā€ text. You ā€œeraseā€ things. ā€œB-Sidesā€ are the outakes songs from an album, and ā€œmix-tapesā€ are custom collections of songs. A collection of changing pictures is a ā€œslideshowā€. I could go on all dayā€¦ Pointing out that electronic ā€œcigarettesā€ have no ā€œsmokeā€ is missing the point that they are still called cigarettes, they arenā€™t technically cigarettes at all, they are electronic-chemical-vaporizers.

2 Likes

serious question, if it is the ā€œsmokeā€ that causes cancer, then why does ā€œchewā€ cause just as much cancer?

Isnā€™t it also banned from many public establishments despite not being smoked?

(seriously asking because i donā€™t know the answers to either? iā€™m sure iā€™ll look it up in depth later, but hopefully a helpful bb person will point me in the right direction.)

the reason is, obviously, because ā€˜chewā€™ is also smoked (and cured), which introduces a lot of nitrosamines. and no, itā€™s not banned in public; youā€™ll just look like a hick spitting into a bottle every few seconds.

indeed, Swedish snus is fresh oral tobacco (needs refrigeration) which is remarkably less carcinogenic, though still not exactly safe.

1 Like

thanks for the info. i had no idea that ā€˜chewā€™ was smoked and cured. iā€™ve never chewed myself and really donā€™t know the first thing about it. uh oh, isnā€™t bacon smoked and cured as well? i do eat baconā€¦or that somehow a different process?

Learn something new every day. Thanks! Are vaporizers sold with a nod and a wink up there like head shops in the US selling ā€œglass artā€ and ā€œtobaccoā€ hookas?

Iā€™ve never been a smoker, but I would oppose that ban. Blowing vapour around is what we all do when we breathe, and the rapidly dissipating visible ā€œsmokeā€ from these cigarettes is probably the part we have to worry about the least of all the products of ā€œsecond hand breathā€.

As for the concentrated fluid, there are a lot of substances that adults deal with that could be dangerous to kids if used in the wrong way. Donā€™t leave dangerous stuff lying around, whether itā€™s bleach or e-cig fluid.

My only real objection to using e-cigs in public is that they look like normal cigarettes and Iā€™d rather not water down the social opposition to smoking around non-smokers, especially children. Thereā€™s also the idea that children could see smoking as cool based on this, or think of e-cigs as harmless because theyā€™re used in public without any objections. I donā€™t see a lot of evidence for this though; on the contrary, I see e-cig smokers as people who are trying to take control of their lives in an area that is famously difficult to control, so I would support them and explain that to my kids if they saw someone ā€œsmokingā€ in the same room.

Haha, what? Thatā€™s like saying beer isnā€™t allowed to have alcohol. Iā€™m sure that someone somewhere enjoys kinderbeer, but, uhā€¦