Scientists discover 4.8 quintillion pound "mystery blob" below the moon's surface

Mass or weight - we need to know!

9 Likes

Turns out there’s a delicious pocket of fat right behind the eyeball*.

giphy-14

*(this has turned into something of a catchphrase between my wife and I based on a comment about moose by glenn villeneuve on Life Below Zero)

6 Likes

Good point. The paper used kg of course. It was converted into earth pounds. So 0.8 quintillion moon pounds

4 Likes

Can totally explain.

It’s the parent blob of the baby blob we are storing in the Arctic, which is fine “as long as the Arctic stays cold.” What could possibly go wrong with that plan?

10 Likes

Oh how soon they forget…

4 Likes

I like the way you think!

4 Likes

Yeah. It’s probably just full of stars too. OMG.

3 Likes

I see a lot of “cute” posts, but has anyone entertained the notion that that is heavy metals?? Most of the heavy metals on Earth sunk into the mantle back when the entire earth was magma. Such a find would be transformative, and boost manufacturing possibilities enormously. Sorry to interrupt the masterbatory sausage fest going on with a little actual intellectual content.

OMG. Thank you! If there’s one thing that makes me wetter than being patronised, it’s actual intellectual content! If you’ll give me a moment I’ll stop masterbating, uh, real soon now, and you can tell me more!

Can I masterbate to your actual intellectual content? That would be hot!

9 Likes

Obviously the masscon has to be higher density than the general lunar material, or they wouldn’t have found it.

For all of those pounds of weight, it doesn’t seem big enough to be part of the initial lunar formation.

“Imagine taking a pile of metal five times larger than the Big Island of Hawaii and burying it underground. That’s roughly how much unexpected mass we detected,” James said in a press release.

The size and close-to-surface position seem consistent with a big ass nickel-iron asteroid impact.

2 Likes

I suppose it could be

But baby space dragon seems more plausible.

BlowKiss

3 Likes

It’s just that the moon has been replaced by an Utu-class planetoid.

3 Likes

I think you misconstrue that we’re actually just admitting that we’re not the experts, though even the experts can’t don’t know beyond educated speculation yet, so why not have fun joking around. We don’t know enough yet to make any “intellectual content”. If we tried we’d be farting in the wind.

2 Likes

… while upwind.

2 Likes

Is that what’s known as the Blue Area of the Moon?

3 Likes

Hi, @dobermanmacleod, welcome to our community!

@stinkinbadgers That was well expressed, thank you.

I wonder if that is referring to the part of Big Island that is above the water? Does the bit below the water count as an island?

Wasn’t that anomaly magnetic rather than gravitational?

Probably an entirely different set of enigmatic precursors to deal with here. Hopefully similarly benevolent-ish.

2 Likes

Force-pounds(the ones with midichlorians and variation between gravity Wells) haven’t by any means been fully supplanted by mass-pounds; but at least in Eaglestan the pound has been a unit of mass since the late 50s.

1 Like

Island: body of land surrounded by water.
Implicit: above sea level.

1 Like