Scientists discover the WORST cup of tea

teahecepball

3 Likes

Finium tea glass. The infuser is a super fine metal mesh.

image https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51%2BQjgAcMnL.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

They exude carcinogenic chemicals from the date of their manufacture, whether or not they are inside your body. Stomach acid probably hastens that release. The particles may pass through you, but they leave behind a little poison present for your immune system. The heating of plastic (as during the making of tea) increases the chemical instability of the substance.

Plastic filaments from your fleece clothing can be filtered in your urine and plug up the kidney tubules. They can also plug up capillaries, which can be as small as one red blood cell in diameter.

Nothing safe about plastic.

A plastic one?

The tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of dollars I’ve spent doing toxicology studies on many plastics would disagree. It’s the additives to plastics you need to avoid. Colors, plasticizers, etc. Stuff that would make no sense to put in a tea bag. As for the small bits causing blockages, soot and silicate dusts are far far worse. Those are present in the air, food, water and are resistant to hydrolysis.

And, again, your alimentary tract deals with all these inert materials pretty well. It’s breathing you gotta worry about the most.

3 Likes

This film has a lot to say about plastic’s toxicology profile. I’m not a biochemist, just one of the great unwashed with a biology degree. Sounds like you are a biochemist. If you are interested in another take on the subject, this is a decent one, in which several European toxicologists are interviewed about their experimental results. I hope you will take a look. It’s called Plastic Planet.

Also, plastics vary widely in their potential toxicity. For instance, when burned, plastics that contain nitrile compounds (such as ABS and PAN) can release hydrogen cyanide. Bisphenol-A, used to make polycarbonate, is an estrogen mimic. PLA (polylactic acid) on the other hand, is slowly biodegradable and non-toxic.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.