Scientists print robotic flippers based on sea lions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/27/scientists-print-robotic-flipp.html

1 Like

All the better to throw octopodes in human faces

8 Likes

Darn. Came to ask if they would be testing the printed flippers as throwing implements as well as for propulsion. You beat me to it. Congrats. :wink:

2 Likes

In the future, we will look back at this as the first foreshadowing of the AI-controlled sea lion bots that would eventually destroy the BoingBoing forums.

9 Likes

I think @orenwolf would step in an throw them and their red herrings out to prevent a destruction of the forum by sealioning - if @Mindysan33 had exhausted all her patience and @Melizmatic ran out of snarky GIFs.

That said, insert [clappingseal.gif]

8 Likes

We’ve nothing to worry about, then. :wink:

6 Likes

Are you saying I’m patient and that @Melizmatic has an endless supply of snark?

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure you have zero patience for sea lions. Who among has patience for the ocean’s most irritating creature?

6 Likes

I hope you are willing to have a civil conversation about your patience and @Melizmatic’s endless supply of snarky GIFs.

6 Likes

I mean, don’t I usually behave in a civil manner? But do I have to be civil with trollies, or bad faith posters, who show up out of nowhere whenever a certain celebrity academic is invoked or what have you?

5 Likes

I never implied otherwise. But I would like to explore the seemingly hostile tone you take towards the followers of celebrity academics.

2 Likes

Um. Okay. I don’t see why I need to do that? Are they worth my time to do that, really? Just because they’re more articulate does that mean they’re not trolls here in bad faith because they see us as less than themselves? At what point is it okay not to engage people who aren’t here in good faith? Why is it MY place to do that emotional and intellectual labor - because that’s very much what it is. Keep in mind my job involves a fair amount of intellectual and emotional labor already. It involves thinking, writing, and distilling information for teenagers, essential. Am I meant to do that here too, even if I don’t want to do that?

I’d much rather engage with people here, even those I disagree with, who will give me a good discussion and not sneer at me like I’m a dunce because I don’t think their hero is so heroic?

In other words, what makes these guys worthy of my time, as opposed to, say, you or others here who I know enough to know you’re here in good faith, for the discussions, culture, and company.

4 Likes

Thus proving your patience, and a far better answer than my button-pushing deserved.

I will go away now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

halt-catch-fire-cameron-sad

2 Likes

Don’t be ridiculous

:wink:

10 Likes

6 Likes

Not a thing.

You know how I feel about those without ‘good faith’:

6 Likes

I implied as much, didn’t I? Was he just jumping on it?

1 Like

I don’t even know at this point… good thing it’s Thursday eh?

halt-catch-fire-donna-okay-dude-laughs|nullxnull

7 Likes

I’m moving house; I don’t get a drink til NEXT Wednesday, dammit!

6 Likes