Scientists send 1000s of pairs of underwear to volunteers, who will bury them in their backyards

Originally published at: Scientists send 1000s of pairs of underwear to volunteers, who will bury them in their backyards | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Can confirm, wore them for two weeks and then buried them in the back yard, I hope they make it to where ever they’re going.

P.S. sometimes I hear them calling my name…

20 Likes

Note to self: stop throwing away those perfectly “healthy” pairs of old underwear.

11 Likes

My dog must be a scientist. That explains it.

8 Likes

Step 4: Profit!

12 Likes

[shrugs]

What else would they do with them?

15 Likes

Why underwear, though? Just a cotton cloth should be enough?!

8 Likes

To mess with future archeologists. “Zornok, look here! More evidence of ritual burials!”

11 Likes

Why wait? I figure it is to mess with current crime investigators… throw them off the scent, as it were.

3 Likes

I’m wearing pants right now.

They also have holes in them, and i doing this right?

4 Likes

You are only doing it right if your bum is at least a foot beneath ground level.

4 Likes

Not a single teabag joke? Really?

3 Likes

Ah, le mot juste!

7 Likes

unnamed

9 Likes

Little weird they chose underwear. Seems like it would be cheaper if it was just a cotton remnant or clipped from a roll. Sure it’s just dirt and they’ve hopefully never worn :wink: but making people “play” with dirty undies feels creepy no? Like that mast but if underwear that lays in a back alley for months with no logical origin because “hell no it ain’t getting picked up even with a 10ft stick”.

Even if the article does not mention his name, I have found the biography of the chief scientist in charge of the study.

3 Likes

Who’s gonna call underwear ghosts anyway?

2 Likes

I would that expect the use of underwear is due to a generous grant from a garment manufacturer, but there’s no obvious suggestion to that effect to be seen in the articles.

Perhaps the interest lies in that unique vapor-phase transition.

This would be the logical assumption. I think another thing to consider is that underwear gets people’s attention. If there was a thing where they wanted to bury pieces of cloth it would not be newsworthy and I’m betting we would not be discussing it here. They would get 12 volunteers.

But underwear?!?! STOP THE PRESSES!

2 Likes