Scorecard for Obama's NSA reforms

[Permalink]

1 Like

If the over/under was 0.5, Iā€™d take the under.

3 Likes

I predict minimal scores. This is Obama, who betrayed every position he held as a senator on these issues.

No way will he actually do anything meaningful.

4 Likes

I am going to Hope for the best on this one.

1 Like

Law of headlines asking questions wins again (ā€˜Noā€™).

Even if he does say something that sounds like heā€™s getting tough, it will just end up like his Big Plan on transferring drone killings from the CIA to the DoDā€¦ going absolutely nowhere.

4 Likes

Just saw this, Bruce Schneier has an interesting post on his blog. Apparently he briefed some members of Congress today: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/01/today_i_briefed.html

Its surreal and the implications are truly frightening.

3 Likes

As a Foreigner, at least, to people in the US, I suppose, Iā€™ve got to give the EFF props on one particular point above the others - theyā€™re literally the first American Organization, or even just American anything, giving a single shit about the NSA violating the privacy of non-Americans. It was always met with an ā€œItā€™s not your issue, itā€™s oursā€ or even worse, ā€œYeah, but itā€™s okay to spy on you, because everybody spies on everybody else, we just donā€™t want them spying on US.ā€

Which is funny, because I donā€™t recall the bill of rights being phrased as ā€œWe hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, unless youā€™re not American, in which case you can fuck right off.ā€

11 Likes

I think itā€™s implied.

6 Likes

Iā€™d expect a better score on bullshit bingo. Mildly disappointed there isnā€™t already one linked in the comments.

Judging by the people I heard respond as I mentioned, Iā€™d say that youā€™re not alone in thinking so, just alone in the part where youā€™re joking.

2 Likes

As for the first item on the list itā€™s an easy answer for him. It is unconstitutional.

Look up ā€œThe trial, first sceneā€ on youtube. That is what this will end with if we donā€™t start talking about the rights of free human beings and our rights as citizens.

1 Like

I expect the appearance of reform,.

4 Likes

For some reason, your post got a wire crossed with pokemon in my mind:

A Wild REFORM appeared.
Go OBAMA
Obama used equivocation. Itā€™s Super Effective!
Wild REFORM ran away.

4 Likes

Not sure Iā€™m joking, I imagine this is someoneā€™s interpretation/opinion right now on the Supreme Court.

1 Like

Surprisingly not. Iā€™ve been told multiple times by various people whose business it is to know(mostly immigration lawyers, but not exclusively), if youā€™re a foreign citizen within US borders, or if a US official is dealing with you in some fashion, then you are afforded practically the same protections and privileges afforded to a US citizen as enumerated in the bill of rights in your dealings either within the US or with US officials, in most circumstances. At least to the best of my knowledge and memory.

2 Likes

NSA Reform Drinking Game! Skull your beer whenever you tick a box! Drive home stone cold fucking sober!

7 Likes

Short answer to ā€œWill Obama hit the mark for real NSA reform?ā€ :
No.

Anyone who seriously expects him to start giving a shit about relinquishing power and respecting the law/Constitution at this point in the game is either completey delusional or happy to be finally out of that coma.

4 Likes

True. Any person within US borders is afforded the rights granted by the Bill of Rights.

LOL

lol

1 Like

I was expecting to play the other side of the NSA Reform Drinking Game - Any time Obama says heā€™s going to ā€œreformā€ some piece of it in a way that obviously isnā€™t going to reduce actual NSA eavesdropping and abuses, you take a drink.

You do have to play that side at home on your couch, though, because youā€™re not driving anywhere after drinking that much.

3 Likes