Scott Walker's Wisconsin continues to scrub its websites of climate change mentions

Indeed no. I was referring to this character from Animal Farm.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that as a root for the insult ‘berk’, but it makes no sense to me, unless I’ve been pronouncing it wrong all these years.

I though “berk” derived from the Berkeley Hunt?

1 Like

A recipe to follow!

1 Like

Cockney rhyming slang is always weird.

4 Likes

First off, the “happy cows” ad was for California cheese, not Wisconsin.
Secondly, Wisconsin’s own Roth Cheese Grand Cru was just judged best in the world.

1 Like

No kidding. Wisconsin cows are going to be freezing their asses off this week.

2 Likes

Yellow and orange Wisconsin cheddars have annatto and paprika added, just like yellow and orange cheddars in England.

4 Likes

Did I miss something, or does this gibberish actually mean something that I’m too dense to understand?

You talkin’ jive at me, son?

1 Like

It’s just Flossa being Flossa; check their posting history for context.

3 Likes

I’m with @nemomen (from a comment on a post from someone back) on this… Very high degree of certainty that Flossa is a bot.

Oh, I think I was wrong in that assessment. I can’t say why they compose the amazing and fascinating prose they do, but I don’t think a machine could do it.

4 Likes

Truth. Also, things often only seem like a forecast when viewed in hindsight, right?

2 Likes

Oh well, there goes the predictive power of both the Bible and Nostradamus.
There’s always science, though, and its embarrassing record of accurate forecasting before the event, which is where we came in (or rather went out) in Wisconsin.

2 Likes

It’s “Barksheer”.
I do like the note on the Apache Derby project (formerly hosted by IBM) which says that the pronunciation is “durrby” in the US and “darby” in the UK.

I’ve lived in both Derby and Reading…

That’s why I don’t understand how Berkshire Hunt could be the root of berk.

It isn’t.
It’s “Berkeley Hunt” (which was an actual hunt)* which is pronounced “burk…” Calling someone a “Quorn” just wouldn’t have the same ring to it.

Please do not deduce from this I am in favo(u)r* of hunting.
**I am having trouble with English versus American this evening (or afternoon, depending on locality.)

Heh. Went to school there.

I’m English but in America.

So you can also pronounce Pytchley.

Depends a bit. The Clothiers, who farm in the area, produce cheddar which ranges from white to pale yellow depending on maturity. I don’t know which farmers are producing Cathedral City Cheddar these days but theirs also tends to be very slightly yellowish. The farmers who produce the Cheddar that Tesco currently sells are making an almost pure white variety, but it isn’t bad. Cheddar from the Guernsey herd in Chew Valley tends to be yellower.
Anything from outside central Somerset isn’t Cheddar, it’s just cheese of varying quality.