Sculptures of wolves mauling tourist appear in New York City parks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/10/prankster-leaves-sculptures-of.html

21 Likes

Wonderful, more of this please!

28 Likes

Release the Radioactive Gorillas!!!

22 Likes

Yeth mathster! throws overly dramatic cage lever

17 Likes

The backstories are wonderful, taking their starting points in already unusual aspects of NYC’s real history before launching into his own incidents to memorialize them with the statues. I’d love to see a book or Web site that collects his “history” of the city he obviously loves.

23 Likes

The camera dangling from the tourists’ neck is a nice touch, makes you think the statue has been there for years.

14 Likes

Agreed, but the camera is still sitting on his chest instead of falling to the ground. The dissonant physics is frustrating my brain.

7 Likes

So it’s a disinformation campaign by the Leopards Eating People’s Faces Party.

10 Likes

This is about as boingboing as it gets. Hearty approval.

20 Likes

Now want a bigger house with a huge foyer so I can buy one of these and put it in the huge foyer.

17 Likes

Oh, I don’t know, you could interpret it as the moment that he’s just fallen backward, cowering before the start of the biting, mauling and screaming. Besides, in sculpting you have to remember you can’t have solid bits of metal sort of hanging off on their own, got to tie it into the main body of the piece for structural stability. I’m willing to notch it up to artistic license.

13 Likes

Anyone else remember the movie from the 80s, “Wolfen”. With Albert Finney, Diane Venoram Edward James Olmos and Gregory Hines. Fantastic film, scary as all get-out. About wolves in New York City, living off of the homeless, drug addicts, etc., as all the projects were being demolished.

16 Likes

just been a reading the wolf of the street
so…this is not such a gentle reminder

1 Like

My immediate thought was that this was some sort of completely unsubtle protest against the surviving Koch brother.

(Does anyone else have the impression that David Koch’s death was considerably under-reported for such a widely-reviled figure of dubious influence? Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention.)

4 Likes

I emailed a link and photo to my NYC area relatives.

One noted that if this prank became an urban myth, it might scare off tourists.

I suspect it might draw tourists who come to Manhattan and hang out in Central Park at night hoping to see wolves.

6 Likes

The fact that the great, world raping capitalist still died, in spite of his huge pile of money, makes all the other rich people nervous. Best not to think about it too much, it throws the hedge finders off their game.

5 Likes

This is my favorite comment ever!
And yes that site is in the works
Www.nycurbanlegends.com

12 Likes

Not a monument got of a cautionary piece

5 Likes

I’d be more worried about escaped dogs going feral. Walking around begging for scraps at day, joining up in large packs at night, eating unsuspecting humans and fighting an ongoing war with the alligators in the sewers.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever called you an international treasure? Because you, sir, are an international treasure.

ETA word fragment per @euansmith

8 Likes