Seattle activists have established a 6-block autonomous zone around an abandoned police station

No, of course that sounds nice to me, too. In that moment of pleasantness I try to recall the mantra we have been using:

minority rights. not just race. but ideology, too. and when the axis of power are inverted that same mantra should be able to survive.

I love the short-term. It is beautiful. But I voice my problems about what next because the collective history to municipal flex against federal authority has ended in violence and innocent bystanders taking hits.

And I am willing to bet that there are property owners there that paid hella property taxes to have municipal services. Those people are gonna find a way to get what they want.

1 Like
1 Like

As opposed to being gassed and bombed every night by police?

Capitol Hill is densely populated and the CHAZ area is surrounded by apartment buildings. It’s not like the tear gas stayed on the ground choking the protestors, it was also choking the residents. People were literally being gassed out of their homes.

I don’t know about you but I’d take the anarchists any day.

As for the “guys with guns”, many of them are from the Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club - they aren’t interested in advancing a fascist police state. For better or for worse, Washington is an open carry state so they aren’t breaking the law.

9 Likes

This is not happening. Yes there’s a John Brown Gun Club contingent but they are not walking around open carrying.

Or let’s say it’s Seattle, where it is, and BIPOC organizers and groups (as well as LGBTQ+) are heavily involved. I can’t help but feel like you’re making assumptions based on flawed premises, because nowhere have I seen reported that it’s just a bunch of rich white kids, and the sources I know up there (including my friend who lives in Cap Hill) certainly haven’t said as much.

11 Likes
7 Likes

The point you are trying to push is that of people who waged said real estate war you mentioned up-thread. A few gentrifiers upset that a violent police action turned into a street party can move back out. Again, give up the concern trolling. The people “trapped” in those few blocks are just fine.

6 Likes

Goddamn, Fox News is so desperate to make CHAZ into something it isn’t, now they are citing a Holy Grail gag from Reddit as authoritative news.

8 Likes
11 Likes

So does that mean Coachella is a Temporary zone of occupation for the wealthy and pretentious?

2 Likes

I’ve seen some RW comments to the effect that this is the greatest in-kind contribution to the Combover '20 campaign ever, and they hope it stays right there until election day.

1 Like

Yeah, that is the point. You have your way and you don’t know or care about your neighbors opinions be them digital or real.

Voting would give them a voice.

They know what they are doing. The truth doesn’t matter if they can get enough people believing the lie.

8 Likes

Move your leftist playland to the CD, and I’d be impressed.

Right so folks should dictate actions based on whatever the right wing commentosphere is blathering about…

2 Likes

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.