Second Sonic the Hedgehog trailer shows fixed design

I thought the original Doom movie was pretty good - transitioning to a first-person shoot’em-up view for the big battle sequence worked quite well IMHO.

1 Like

snl-gen-x

4 Likes

What I find interesting is that alt-genre of movies about fictional games which sometimes turns up interesting artefacts, like Jumanji, or Existenz, or Tron, or Wargames… four very different propositions there, but all worth a watch imho.

2 Likes

It’s not a traditional take a movie and make it a game but Wreck-It Ralph was excellent.

4 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I don’t think Jim Carrey was doing a Sonic the Hedgehog movie to advance the principles of arthouse cinema. I don’t think he could have pulled out of it, and they would have released it no matter how much he publicly trashed it in any case.

I’m sure he would rather it was well received than not, but I’m getting a Jeremy Irons in Dungeons & Dragons level of commitment here.

3 Likes

Now there’s a role that could benefit from a CGI redo.

Come to think of it, I can imagine a whole new field where the base film is retained and just individual roles are redone - a la the misguided Star Wars remakes.

1 Like

As a fan of 80’s barbarian movies and someone who avoided (for my own good) W.O.W. - I really enjoyed the World of Warcraft movie.

Also, the live action broadcasts of ‘Pong’ seem to be popular.

1 Like

Trying to see content on BoingBoing like…

5 Likes

That is a very good redesign. I’m sure that now, no one will have anything at all to complain about until they actually see the movie in a theater.

They do now.

Fair enough, but you’re assuming that those members receive royalties for a song they’re not credited on.

1 Like

Now that its qualities as a train wreck are diminished, there’s even less reason to see this movie.

Detective Pikachu was surprisingly fun.

6 Likes

I never thought of this as a micro-genre, but you’re absolutely right! See also, The Last Starfighter, and Ready Player One.

4 Likes

Mortal Kombat movies were ok, plus gave every paintball/laser tag arena music, so there’s that.

The Street Fighter movies gave Raul Julia a last chance to go full ham and we are grateful.

The Mario movie is my guilty pleasure. I know it’s horrible, has only the most tenuous grasp on source material, and three actors who got a paycheck they reject, but I still enjoy it. It’s so so bad.

2 Likes

thumb_i-love-the-powerglove-its-so-bad-he-man-has-the-53663039

3 Likes

It feels like it must be, because who would approve that Jumanji monkey painted blue, but if so, were they really going for “reverse Deadpool”?

I have a soft spot in my heart (probably not malignant) for the unholy trifecta of 90’s films based off of a martial arts video game: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Double Dragon.

You can largely get that for free by looking up Sonic and Sonic 2 speedrun videos on YouTube.

He still doesn’t have a penis, though.