Secret Service challenge coin commemorates unpaid labor during the shutdown

Does that say “shot happens”?

The second sentence in the article: “The coins are paid for by agents or other personnel on their own – they are not official and use no government money.”

6 Likes

Wilbur Ross’s assholery blinded me this AM. My bad.

3 Likes

And he’s the Commerce Secretary! Shouldn’t he understand the basics of household economics?!?!?

4 Likes

similarly, scout sniper should be spelled out in full.

3 Likes

I would imagine that anyone who has a strong opinion on this probably has an American Silver Eagle and a Silver Round handy. The Silver Round will be hallmarked and stamped with the material and weight (1 Oz .999 FINE SILVER, more than likely), but not a dollar value - because it is not a coin, it is a silver round. The American Silver Eagle will be marked with weight and material (1 OZ FINE SILVER) but it will also be marked as ONE DOLLAR. This is because independent from it being a chunk of silver and the craftsmanship of the coin, it’s also a real US coin, worth $1. Even if the silver in it is worth less than $1, it is still worth $1 at the bank. On the other hand, the Silver Round is “only” a chunk of silver, presuming you trust the vendor that it is really 1 OZ of FINE SILVER. (Although it is illegal to mark anything that is not silver as such.)

And that’s why these “Liberty Dollars” are illegal. It’s not because they are metal and round, it’s because they claim to be a $20 Coin, and they look American. I can easily imagine people trying to present these to stores and other people trying to get them valued at $20 and being quite insistent on it. (In this case, the first generation of the scammed go on to scam the rest.) Coupled with people who may not be 100% sure that they are NOT real US coins - and the Secret Service has their work cut out for them.

As for me? I just like the way silver gleams. It’s different than steel. Silver feels different and doesn’t stay as cold in your hand for as long. And the sound it makes is much nicer than steel.

4 Likes

I’ve seen it as “USSS”

2 Likes

tumblr_pln8suqdlH1rhs4ze_540

1 Like

I’m not so sure.

5 Likes

or better yet the numismatically traditional obverse/reverse picture.

It’s widescreen!

2 Likes

Are they coming to town? … beep beep

2 Likes

That was (from the Vox article), a “an official commemorative coin”. That’s different from these challenge coins.

1 Like

bburn

2 Likes

Or maybe the coins are a sort of scrip that they’re using to pay the prostitutes. Or as an IOU.

1 Like

One the back, along the edge between 4 and 5 o’clock is a pacifier.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.