Secret Service challenge coin commemorates unpaid labor during the shutdown

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/24/make-america-grift-again.html

4 Likes

Ok, who the f’k paid for those? Government is shut down and this is what they spend money on? JHC

11 Likes

“Hey, Mister President, you know this shutdown involves not paying your bodyguards?”
“See that? I’m so great they’ll risk their lives to guard me for free!”

13 Likes

If the secret service is having them made with personal funds with the goal of reselling at profit, then why not. Challenge coins cost about $4 - $7 when having them made in bulk. If you can sell it for $50, then yay capitalism!

19 Likes

Generally “Secret Service” is not abbreviated for fairly obvious reasons(this is truly meant as a friendly comment)

11 Likes

They could make more getting bribed by Russian agents. Oh wait, never mind.

6 Likes

What the actual fuck.

12 Likes

What really blows my mind is that the Coast Guard is considered nonessential. Those guys and gals are critically important.

I don’t think the government pays for those coins, by the way.

16 Likes

That was my initial reaction but, if they are paying out of pocket for coins instead of prostitutes more power to 'em.

7 Likes

Who’s paying for the drinks, then?

8 Likes

https://www.benzinga.com/general/topics/11/08/1891995/hide-your-liberty-dollars-the-secret-service-wants-to-seize-them

The Liberty Dollar was deemed a counterfeit due to having a few similarities to US coinage, such as …being round. And made of metal. Also, the prosecutor contended that people might mistake the heavy, 1-oz. coins of pure silver for a half-dollar or perhaps a quarter due to the words ‘Liberty’ across the front and the face of our Lady Liberty.

1. This is fucking brilliant.

2. Challenge coins are very popular in military circles, and even civilians have got into the act with a collectors market out there. You can look at ebay to find all kinds of weird ones.

3. Wait - the SS isn’t getting paid? I wonder if this is actually true. There are certain segments of the government who have secured funding for a least a few more months. My ex-wife works for the Dept of Labor - but she is getting paid still. Though in the past she did have a short stint of work with out pay.

3 Likes

The little-known but true original function of the secret service - guardians against counterfeit currency.

6 Likes

what is the point of this?

what’s wrong with black bars?

3 Likes

Boy, America’s really great again. This is what “winning” looks like.

6 Likes

The biggest service to the county could be made by all secret service leaving their jobs until this problem is resolved.

What that problem is and how it could be best solved is left as an exercise for the reader.

5 Likes

Note that challenge coins don’t bear a face value in dollars. If you make a coin that bears a face value in dollars, then yeah, Treasury is going to have an opinion on that.

3 Likes

Yeah, I doubt these guys wish to be called “SS Agents”.

2 Likes

the secret service has 7000 employees, and only 1300 serve as the goon squad.

1 Like

Hmm. The guard force is starting to rebel. Yay?

4 Likes