Security researcher reveals grotesque vulnerabilities in "Yelp-for-MAGA" app and its snowflake owner calls in the FBI

That’s assuming there’s any businesses on the list to boycott. From a comment at Ars Technica:

nononsense Ars Scholae Palatinae Mar 12, 2019 6:59 PM
I downloaded this last night just for shits and giggles. Don’t use your real email, it doesn’t even include a verification step. You could sign up that brother-in-law you can’t stand if you wanted. It’s just an email capture program.
So once installed, I punched in ‘burgers’ and location ‘everywhere’ and it searched and searched and searched and never found anything.
I tried pizza, next. Same result.
Apparently, people aren’t really all that interested in burger joints that they can eat at, armed with an AR-15. Go figure.
I was going to use it, as most of the reviewers on the app store were, to see what restaurants I wanted to avoid, but there weren’t any.
Sad.

20 Likes

Maybe he should have searched for meth, ricin, depends and destin?

9 Likes

If only he’d tried searching for “milk” or “dairy”:

10 Likes

Oh my, security and encryption are such Dunning–Kruger effect bug zappers: So easy to do, so hard to do it right, and there are no participation trophies.

No doubt the alt-right is convinced that they have the best cryptids!

10 Likes

Not his password, certainly. It’s right there in the code, twice!

eta: What’s the hidden message in 63red as opposed to 8, 14, 45 or 88?

7 Likes

I’d love a copy of that list. It would help me avoid places I don’t want to support.

3 Likes

Urban Dictionary offers some sexual interpretations, but I’d guess those aren’t it.

There is a “10-63” police code, but it turns out I don’t know enough cop jargon to even understand the plain-text reading.

1 Like

“These are the droids we are looking for, details to follow”?

November 22, 1963?

2 Likes

Totally OT, but you in particular might be interested that at our most recent concert one of the songs we sang came from the Singing Revolution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing_Revolution

Here’s a version (obviously not us):

2 Likes

I do like the idea of a cap with “IMAG” (Immigrants Make America Great) printed on it.
Perhaps the cap should be a nice blue color. Or, to move it outside political polarities, a pleasant, spring green.

5 Likes

As a business owner, that terrifies me. Here’s why:

A month ago someone got bent out of shape with us on Facebook because of our terrible customer service. They were going to report us to BBB, etc. In corresponding with this person, it became clear that he was upset on behalf of his brother, who was the actual customer. It also emerged that they were upset because of some issue regarding a magnetic holster for their vehicle. I told them we don’t sell magnetic holsters, nor other holsters, nor any other kind of firearm accessory, and they gradually began to simmer down. Eventually they apologized and removed their feedback, acknowledging that they intended to flame a different company with an utterly different name. Neither of them had ever heard of us or purchased anything from us. The negative feedback they left us was literally the first time they ever encountered us. Both brothers were strident MAGA guys.

All that to say that I don’t have any idea how a business gets into that directory, nor how it extricates itself after the fact. I don’t want to have any contact with their app, nor the people working there, nor the people using it. The people maintaining the app are halfwits, and the people using the app are halfwits, so its database is bound to be full of false positives.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, there are places on the internet FULL of bad customers, customers getting their facts wrong, even trying to return stuff to the wrong store and insisting they got it there, etc. I don’t think there is a political leaning that has a monopoly on this, there are assholes everywhere.

2 Likes

Statistically, probably not. I mean, there are tons of scams and rip-offs aimed at MAGAts, and only a few have been exposed so far, for highly specific reasons. Most are engaging in scams so obvious that no exposure is needed (which means it doesn’t happen). So… you’ll probably be good.

3 Likes

My assumption was that the number of restaurants that might give someone grief for wearing a MAGA hat are so vanishingly rare, there wouldn’t actually be anything in the app. (Especially because such restaurants are likely to be located where no one wears MAGA hats anyways.) There are a couple restaurants that gave grief to identified members of the Trump admin, but that’s a known list anyways.

2 Likes

NFFY

11 Likes

I simply prefer to frequent places that won’t tolerate Cult45 types. Seems to me, if you don’t want to be on that list, don’t tolerate patrons who display hate symbols.

I’m keeping that one.

:wink:

7 Likes

Achievement Unlocked. :heart: :dizzy_face:

10 Likes

Probably being good is all I ever wanted out of life!

2 Likes