See bold thieves snatch $27,000 in products from a bustling Apple Store in 30 seconds

I think there are tethers, but it sure looks like they used quite a bit of force to yank those off the machines (good luck selling those series numbers and with those scars, but I am sure they can fence them thru craigslist or nextdoor). It would be much harder to take the tether off an iPhone without damaging it as the things are so small and svelt slippery and stupid thin.

Boy are they gonna be pissed when they get home and Apple launches their new lineup of notebooks in a few mon… what’s that? Yesterday? 6 cores? 32GB RAM? 4TB storage? nearly $7k? uh, where’s my hoodie honey?

7 Likes

hahaha just wait until they try to add more memory or upgrade the hard drive!!

Apple: 1, Thieves: 0

11 Likes

It’s because the Chinese subsidize the hardware with backdoor software

1 Like

Four thieves … two tables plus. Table to the right of the entrance also gets cleared and some gear on the table to the left gets some attention.

3 Likes

That was products valued at $27,000. Not the same as worth $27,000.

12 Likes

I googled this:

7 Likes

I was really hoping it was going to be that group of young women who walked in.

10 Likes

Not a bad approach. And even with hoodies the faces should be very visible to the device camera, wonder if they have live feeds always running from all the demo units?

1 Like

I’d be far more impressed if they snatched $27,000 in products from a 7-Eleven. To manage that, they would probably have to grab down to the drywall.

4 Likes

I wonder how well it works as a deterrent to have computers brick themselves as they go out the door. It doesn’t stop idiots, after all…

1 Like

Other companies are fine with making and selling low end machines, but Apple only sells high end kit. If you compare their computers with equivalently specced machines from other companies, the price difference is not that much.

It’s because Apple makes only a handful of models, and sells millions of each model. They place far larger orders for parts than any other PC manufacturer. Economies of scale enable them to make a staggering 35-40% profit on each device while still pricing their kit very competitively with the competition.

3 Likes

They stole 'em to play Fortnite on 'em… of course, now they’ll wind up spending more than that on skins, dance moves, and loot boxes…

Thank you kindly. I just didn’t think this was the sort of thing that Apple hadn’t though through!

1 Like

Not really. “When you’re dealing with a store like this, they’re insured up the ass. They’re not supposed to give you any resistance whatsoever.”

Also - jokes on them! They will spend $$$ on chargers on dongles to use the actual things.

6 Likes

Minimum wage (or just barely above it) isn’t worth the risk.

3 Likes

So, if I understand correctly, if I bring a wifi jammer into an Apple shop, it will brick all the devices in the shop?

4 Likes

Four men snatched $27,000 in laptops and iPhones

Before I watched the video I thought “how exciting can this be, one man taking one device each?”

5 Likes

If I were the Apple programmer tasked with implementing this, I’d build in some sanity checks (for power failures, at the very least) so, probably not.

What’s most interesting is that I didn’t notice the gorilla walking through until the second time I watched it.

22 Likes

Apple should try locking them things down. Or up. whatevs.