See what happens when Eiderdown is submerged in water

Originally published at: See what happens when Eiderdown is submerged in water | Boing Boing

5 Likes

No, it provides high quality insulation in ducks!

27 Likes

15 Likes

YARN | Oh, well, it's a little cold and damp... | Hot in Cleveland ...

5 Likes

They have it not so much to insulate themselves (which of course it does) as to insulate and pad their nests. Also, plucking the feathers exposes the brood patch, an area rich in blood vessels. This then touches the eggs directly and transfers warmth from the bird to the eggs.

10 Likes

Geese, on the other hand…

11 Likes

Bah, I knew a girl in highschool who’s hair did that. She literally could not swim underwater without weights.

4 Likes

A real eiderdown is a fantastic purchase for anyone who really hates cold nights, they are simply unbeatable in keeping you warm. They are also about £3000+ for a single.

But since the feathers are hand gathered from the nests after the ducks have fledged, then cleaned and then put into duvets - I guess it makes sense.

7 Likes

Damn! Get down!

4 Likes

TIL, thank you.

Heritage duvets and pillows might contain valuable eiderdown. Don’t discard without checking.

If someone plops a handful into one of your hands, you won’t feel it at all. Until that hand begins to warm for seemingly no reason. Close your eyes for a blind test. Repeat with the next best goose down for a double blind test.

4 Likes

Electrospun layered fiber eat your heart out. [Adds Eider Ducks to list of animals to ship to a colder planet or keep in the rapid recovery shiver dingus, er, Cryotherapy Chamber.] I hope growing brood patch tissue and its products goes better than the spider silks debacles. “We’re gonna need a bigger frozen hold.” No?

3 Likes

‘How Do They Do It’ on Discovery Sci had a very in depth piece about an Icelandic community who collect the down from eider duck nests in the summer, then turn them into £10k duvets… alas I can’t find a free to view version. Series 15 ep 5 for those with D+

(ETA quote)
(ETA again for episode info :man_facepalming:)

2 Likes

This is a pretty good mini-documentary

6 Likes

The BBC had a one off documentary about one summer in Iceland which featured a family farm on Breiðafjörður in the far West (an absolutely gorgeous part of Iceland). Idyllic doesn’t quite cover it with the super cute kids getting to spend their days paddling and swimming in the rock pools whilst looking after the even cuter eider ducklings before leading them back to their overnight accommodation.

Of course, it’s not so idyllic in Winter - but you would have a lovely eiderdown to snuggle under and watch the Northern Lights.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.