Self-proclaimed "Crypto Landlords" are making money by renting out NFTs

I salute the meta grift.

2 Likes

fucking pixelated cartoon profile pics

As seen on Japanese TV.

3 Likes

everything you need to know about scams

6 Likes

It’s a long running but false narrative that Bitcoin is bad for the environment, right up there along with it’s only used by criminals. Fiat currency is ALSO used by criminals ( I’m looking at you major banks and US Congress) Great article here comparing Bitcoin’s environmental impact compared to other investments.

That article is ridiculous even when you don’t consider the source (“Bitcoin Magazine”). It’s short but packed with so many category errors, fallacious reasoning and the usual garbage ideological assumptions of Libertarians that I have to wonder whether it and/or the site that published it is a parody.

I’ll give the author some credit for admitting that they’re trying to re-construct the “barbarous relic” in (now-more-inherently-useless) digital form instead of hiding the goal behind techno-utopian babble, but that’s about it.

11 Likes

i have an NFT of a restart button, but it is gonna cost ya.

4 Likes

Their first argument for the “environmentally friendly” part is literally the quote below.

“At minimum, Bitcoin aims to replace the market for gold. If it succeeds, the world will be far better off, environmentally. That’s because today, the gold mining industry produces more than triple the carbon emissions that Bitcoin does while also pouring toxic chemicals into the ground.”

That kind of specious reasoning would make Homer Simpson blush. I mean, seriously, what do the authors think that gold is used for? Is Bitcoin going to be made into jewelry? Is Bitcoin going to be used as a conductor in circuit boards that are used to mine Bitcoin? Are rich people going to sprinkle Bitcoin on their $1,000 steaks?

6 Likes

i remember when playing a video game was fun

4 Likes

M Night Shyamalan Servant GIF by Apple TV

5 Likes

Lots of it is dug out of the ground at a high environmental cost, only to immediately be buried under ground in a vault somewhere else. On the other hand, once dug up, people can trade ownership forever without moving the gold and thus with little additional environmental impact. Bitcoin has a lower initial impact, but every transaction wastes more energy.

Odds are also a lot better that the gold will be worth anything 50 years from now.

That’s why you have NFT:s to show off your wealth in a pointless way.

4 Likes

That is also true, but the jewelry and the circuit boards and the bling give gold value that Bitcoin isn’t ever going to replace, even if the pie-in-the-sky dream of governments and people storing wealth in Bitcoin instead of gold somehow comes to pass.

5 Likes

So, you know, you buy these shovels.

And pans, some pans too, you know, stuff like that. Waders, hip boots, whatever. Then you put them in a wagon, and you go, go, go til you get to this place where everyone is hoping to dig up stuff to get rich. This place has no waders, or pans, or shovels, so then you sell them, but you get like 1000% more than you paid.

They don’t care, because they think they are gonna get rich, and you get rich, so everyone wins, kinda.

Well, sorta.

Not really, no, they don’t win. You win, maybe. Probably better to get out quick though.

5 Likes

In all fairness, storing wealth as gold only really works well for governments. Its a terrible investment for individuals because it has no income generation ability like various financial instruments.

But that is not the point. Gold has utility. Bitcoin is a glorified Ponzi scheme that wastes electricity.

5 Likes

Another in a long series of basic and reasonable expectations stolen from young people by “free”-market fundies.

That’s what’s come to bother me the most about the cryptocurrency-related scammers: their marks are mainly people under age 35 who (unless they won various genetic lotteries) have already been screwed over by other scams of neoliberalism – many before they were even born.

5 Likes

and some people are also paying real world rent with their NFT’s…

Jeezus Fucking Christ. This just makes me want to move into a cave.

3 Likes

They’re not supposed to be fun? Damn! What a waste of a morning!

3 Likes

I hope the landlord took cash or check.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.